iPad And GPS When Traveling

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Noodles118, May 29, 2012.

1. Noodles118

Noodles118
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone here actually used their iPad for a GPS when traveling? Was just wondering if it eats up a good portion of data being that it is running continuously when you're on the road. Seems like it would. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Moved this off-topic post from the news section. It's a valid question worth exploring - just needs its own thread. Thanks.

Marilyn

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not so much the memory usage,but the battery issue that's the problem.GPS apps are one of the biggest battery draining activities you can do with your iPad.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Which is where car chargers come in. Make sure to get a 10W charger.

If you use the standard map instead of the satellite or hybrid view the data usage should be quite small.

Or use one of the nav apps that has built in maps. You wouldn't even need a data connection.

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Love it! Mine doesn't eat any data as I have maps loaded on the iPad and the GPS signal is free. If you have a Wifi-only iPad then you need to by an GPS receiver that connects to the iPad via blu-tooth (best option, IMO). If you have a 3/4G iPad, then the GPS chip is included. You could use the Maps app that comes on the iPad, but it requires us have a cellular connection and that will eat your data, though I don't know how it impacts data use because I NEVER do that. I bought Navigon which has it's own maps. There are other options for navigation beside Navigon but I have not used them and probably never will.

[​IMG]

#5 AQ_OC, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. Noodles118

Noodles118
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the feedback, AQ. I have the newest version of the iPad , 64 3/4G + Wi-Fi. Since I am mostly in a Wi-Fi environment when at home. work, or Hot Spot, I had the intention to activate the cellular network only when traveling on the road on family vacations, etc. In the days of my iPad 2, I had downloaded an app called GPS Motion Drive X, which I believe uses maps from Bing. Seems like a pretty good navigation app, and there is a way to pre-plan and save routes (as you mentioned), although I need to get into the details of that portion of the app more to see how to pull up saved routes. Is the app you use called NAVIGATION? I 'll have to look that up in the app store and maybe use that as an alternate GPS app. Once again, thanks for the tip. I always appreciate tips, feedback, and advice on this forum from fellow "Ipadians". 8O€>

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't heard that term before,I love it!:D:thumbs::D

8. Noodles118

Noodles118
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    LOL.... it was either "Ipadians" or "Appolites" - depends upon what side of the iPad you're standing on! LOL

Hmmm... I knew there was a one-liner in there somewhere just dying to get out in the open! LOL

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The app I have is Navigon USA. It is taking a beating in the app store because it was bought up by Garmin and they are trying nickel and dime folks to death on upgrades and map updates. This may not be the app to get now.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    CoPilot Live Premium is one of the cheaper map-included navigation apps. I won't say it is the best, because I haven't really tried any of the others; but it's good enough for me. My only gripe is that clearing an active route is not as obvious as it should be.

I also have MotionX GPS Drive HD. You used to be able to choose your map source, Bing or Google, but that seems to have changed. I don't know what source it uses now. It does not keep a complete set of maps, instead it has a buffer (user adjustable up to 2GB) that stores your most recently used maps and routes. Fine, as long as you have an internet connection or remember to set up the trip before losing going offline.

Lots relatively new features here, including a membership ID and voice navigation. I have not tried any of it out.

I don't know of NavFree has been mentioned here yet, but it's free. Not a great app according to the reviews, but it does have offline maps (after you download them).