What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad And GPS When Traveling

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually used their iPad for a GPS when traveling? Was just wondering if it eats up a good portion of data being that it is running continuously when you're on the road. Seems like it would. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved this off-topic post from the news section. It's a valid question worth exploring - just needs its own thread. Thanks.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Noodles118 said:
Has anyone here actually used their iPad for a GPS when traveling? Was just wondering if it eats up a good portion of data being that it is running continuously when you're on the road. Seems like it would. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

It's not so much the memory usage,but the battery issue that's the problem.GPS apps are one of the biggest battery draining activities you can do with your iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Which is where car chargers come in. Make sure to get a 10W charger.

If you use the standard map instead of the satellite or hybrid view the data usage should be quite small.

Or use one of the nav apps that has built in maps. You wouldn't even need a data connection.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love it! Mine doesn't eat any data as I have maps loaded on the iPad and the GPS signal is free. If you have a Wifi-only iPad then you need to by an GPS receiver that connects to the iPad via blu-tooth (best option, IMO). If you have a 3/4G iPad, then the GPS chip is included. You could use the Maps app that comes on the iPad, but it requires us have a cellular connection and that will eat your data, though I don't know how it impacts data use because I NEVER do that. I bought Navigon which has it's own maps. There are other options for navigation beside Navigon but I have not used them and probably never will.

IMG_0461.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Noodles118

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Love it! Mine doesn't eat any data as I have maps loaded on the iPad and the GPS signal is free. If you have a Wifi-only iPad then you need to by an GPS receiver that connects to the iPad via blu-tooth (best option, IMO). If you have a 3/4G iPad, then the GPS chip is included. You could use the Maps app that comes on the iPad, but it requires us have a cellular connection and that will eat your data, though I don't know how it impacts data use because I NEVER do that. I bought Navigon which has it's own maps. There are other options for navigation beside Navigon but I have not used them and probably never will.

Thanks for the feedback, AQ. I have the newest version of the iPad , 64 3/4G + Wi-Fi. Since I am mostly in a Wi-Fi environment when at home. work, or Hot Spot, I had the intention to activate the cellular network only when traveling on the road on family vacations, etc. In the days of my iPad 2, I had downloaded an app called GPS Motion Drive X, which I believe uses maps from Bing. Seems like a pretty good navigation app, and there is a way to pre-plan and save routes (as you mentioned), although I need to get into the details of that portion of the app more to see how to pull up saved routes. Is the app you use called NAVIGATION? I 'll have to look that up in the app store and maybe use that as an alternate GPS app. Once again, thanks for the tip. I always appreciate tips, feedback, and advice on this forum from fellow "Ipadians". 8O€>

OP
Noodles118

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I haven't heard that term before,I love it!:D:thumbs::D

LOL.... it was either "Ipadians" or "Appolites" - depends upon what side of the iPad you're standing on! LOL

Hmmm... I knew there was a one-liner in there somewhere just dying to get out in the open! LOL

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, AQ. I have the newest version of the iPad , 64 3/4G + Wi-Fi. Since I am mostly in a Wi-Fi environment when at home. work, or Hot Spot, I had the intention to activate the cellular network only when traveling on the road on family vacations, etc. In the days of my iPad 2, I had downloaded an app called GPS Motion Drive X, which I believe uses maps from Bing. Seems like a pretty good navigation app, and there is a way to pre-plan and save routes (as you mentioned), although I need to get into the details of that portion of the app more to see how to pull up saved routes. Is the app you use called NAVIGATION? I 'll have to look that up in the app store and maybe use that as an alternate GPS app. Once again, thanks for the tip. I always appreciate tips, feedback, and advice on this forum from fellow "Ipadians". 8O€>

The app I have is Navigon USA. It is taking a beating in the app store because it was bought up by Garmin and they are trying nickel and dime folks to death on upgrades and map updates. This may not be the app to get now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
CoPilot Live Premium is one of the cheaper map-included navigation apps. I won't say it is the best, because I haven't really tried any of the others; but it's good enough for me. My only gripe is that clearing an active route is not as obvious as it should be.

I also have MotionX GPS Drive HD. You used to be able to choose your map source, Bing or Google, but that seems to have changed. I don't know what source it uses now. It does not keep a complete set of maps, instead it has a buffer (user adjustable up to 2GB) that stores your most recently used maps and routes. Fine, as long as you have an internet connection or remember to set up the trip before losing going offline.

Lots relatively new features here, including a membership ID and voice navigation. I have not tried any of it out.

I don't know of NavFree has been mentioned here yet, but it's free. Not a great app according to the reviews, but it does have offline maps (after you download them).

OP
Noodles118

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning fellow Ipadians!

I admit it! I'm a app-maniac! (LOL) As much as I hate to admit it, I am....

While I love the sheer simplicity of features in GPS apps such as Navigon and GPS Motion-X, I find that if you go off course once your destination is programmed, those particular apps will NOT automatically redirect you from whatever "off route" location you may have ventured to. Instead, messages appear telling you to get back on your route in order to proceed OR re-enter your destination using your current location - which is no big deal, just a bit of an annoyance.

Possibility exists that I may have missed a step (or two) when programming a recent road trip through Florida during Father's Day Weekend, and that caused me to have the issues I was having.

Fortunately for me, I remembered I also had one of my old favorites, which was the TomTom Ipad app installed on my IPad 3. Once I incorporated my settings into the T.T. app, I was a happy camper once again, cruising the back roads of the Everglades, worry-free.

Pricey app? Very! But at least I felt comfortable knowing I had a reliable back-up app that I didn't have to reset every time I decided to get adventurous and travel off the beaten path.

As I stated in the beginning of this post, I have nothing against those other apps...I think they are great...but sometimes the old favorites are like an old worn out pair of comfortable shoes - you just hate to throw it out just in case you may need them some day!

-Cap'n Noodles- 80€}

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're wrong about navigon. If it is telling you to get back on the original route, that is because it still thinks that is the best option based on where you are. I've done it over and over and it does eventually give you other options, but only after it has decided the new one is best, based on the routing options you have set.

OP
Noodles118

Noodles118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
You're wrong about navigon. If it is telling you to get back on the original route, that is because it still thinks that is the best option based on where you are. I've done it over and over and it does eventually give you other options, but only after it has decided the new one is best, based on the routing options you have set.

Thanks for the feedback, AQ. It won't be the first time, I miscalculated an app, and I am sure it won't be my last! Main point I was getting it is that it's great to have a "back-up app" plan to help rescue you from the road, just in case your first choice starts acting strange.

Hmm....now that I think about it, I know a few people who use that same strategy with women...(LOL)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Noodles118 said:
Thanks for the feedback, AQ. It won't be the first time, I miscalculated an app, and I am sure it won't be my last! Main point I was getting it is that it's great to have a "back-up app" plan to help rescue you from the road, just in case your first choice starts acting strange.

Hmm....now that I think about it, I know a few people who use that same strategy with women...(LOL)

HA! I do carry my old Garmin Nuvi in my car as my backup GPS. Sometimes, when I'm feeling real crazy, I'll have two GPSs going at the same time. It is fun when they start giving different directions. Not so fun when you have two women giving you different diections at the same time. In fact, that can be downright scary. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts