What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Future IOS updates

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
$40 still beats $200 any day.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes, but the OSX pricing is completely different than Windows pricing. OSX only comes on Apple branded computers, and any disk you might purchase after that is an upgrade disk. Part of the high price you are paying for an Apple computer is to pay for the operating system, but it is hidden in the cost of the system. Of course, Apple is kind enough to put the full OS on each upgrade disk, so enterprising people can build their own Macs if they are so inclined.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Part of the high price you are paying for an Apple computer is to pay for the operating system, but it is hidden in the cost of the system. Of course, Apple is kind enough to put the full OS on each upgrade disk, so enterprising people can build their own Macs if they are so inclined. "

Every PC and Laptop I have purchased has had windows. It too is hidden in the cost and it is not even close to the Apple computer costs.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
"Part of the high price you are paying for an Apple computer is to pay for the operating system, but it is hidden in the cost of the system. Of course, Apple is kind enough to put the full OS on each upgrade disk, so enterprising people can build their own Macs if they are so inclined. "

Every PC and Laptop I have purchased has had windows. It too is hidden in the cost and it is not even close to the Apple computer costs.

I'm not encouraging this but what about Hackingtoshes?

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not encouraging this but what about Hackingtoshes?

That is the route I went. It is a lot of fun, but like jailbreaking an iOS device, you have to be careful about applying updates. I really just wanted to see what it would be like to run OS X for a month (something I try to do with all operating systems I am curious about) without having to drop serious money on a Mac.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have to look that up. Not sure what it is. I'm a developer and want to try developing on the iOS but the sdk is Mac only

64GB 3G White iPad

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
I'll have to look that up. Not sure what it is. I'm a developer and want to try developing on the iOS but the sdk is Mac only

64GB 3G White iPad

There are some Windows options available or if you want your software to be intended for jailbreakers you can use a ToolChain running as a VM.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
There are some Windows options available or if you want your software to be intended for jailbreakers you can use a ToolChain running as a VM.

Thanks for the information.

64GB 3G White iPad

Most reactions