What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and camera connection kit

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I thought I would add this review link for Photosmith app for Lightroom. Evidently it syncs with Dropbox which is yet another reason it interests me. Might just go ahead and buy it. http://www.wdwphotography.com/review-photosmith-ipad-app-adobe-lightroom/

Also a good tutorial video from Adorama TV. http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/13029

BTW, the current version of Photosmith loses all meta data when the file is sent to Dropbox.

Another approach might be to take both raw & jpg, with the jpg on a SD card and the raw on a CF, and only send the jpg to the iPad. Once both files are recombined in LR the jpg metadata would apply to both. The downside is it will slow the record time of each image. I have suggested to Photosmith that they need to put the metadata in a sidecar XML file and send it to Dropbox as well.

I wonder about doing a jail break and use iFile which would allow bidirectional transfers, except the same issue might occur -- no metadata. A Hyperdrive, which is unidirectional as well, might be incorporated into the workflow. I do not know if it would work, but maybe upload raw+jpg from CF card to the Hyperdrive and copy jpgs to the iPad. Review jpgs on iPad.

Evidently Apple must be really worried about customers being able to add bidirectional memory. I guess that is why jail breaking seems to be catching the attention of many owners.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Comments .... I am still running this through my head ...

The AirStash is Webdav capable and can use up to 32GB SD cards. The WebDav Nav + app provides bidirectional transfer of data to Webdav capable servers. It also can act as a WebDav server on the iPad. The next release will support importing photos into the Photos app (In progress).

Now if I can figure out how to integrate Photosmith into this setup...

BTW, someone mentioned a powered USB cable that could be used with a CF reader. I have been able to read an 8GB with my Delkin CF reader, but have not tried a 32GB read yet.

Thanks

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can tell you guys that an air stash is a handy thing to have.

I use mine all the time, I use a Canon EOS 1D and occasionally transfer images from that to my ipad2.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you handle raw files & CF cards?

I only use jpeg if I plan on using the iPad and there really is no reason to copy a raw file to an iPad as it wouldn't be viewable anyway.

If I am doing serious shooting for a day, I take extra CF cards with me (and one of those digital vault things) and load them to a PC with Photoshop when I get home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
jmorton10 said:
I only use jpeg if I plan on using the iPad and there really is no reason to copy a raw file to an iPad as it wouldn't be viewable anyway.

If I am doing serious shooting for a day, I take extra CF cards with me (and one of those digital vault things) and load them to a PC with Photoshop when I get home.

The Photos app should be able to display RAW files directly.

Otherwise, you could also use an app, such as PiRAWnha to get some more features.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless you are using the app for RAW (PiRAWnha???) what you are viewing is the embedded jpeg in the RAW file (and this does not mean shooting RAW+jpeg, its the same jpeg you view on your camera's LCD when reviewing).

I haven't bought Photosmith yet but reading their description it appears you can view the RAW file but they keep referring to viewing to check focus so the embedded jpeg would work fine for that. Thus--I'm not sure with that app what you are viewing, but some of the other options of the app, for a long time Lightroom user, could be helpful and they say they are committed to offering more.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have purchased Photosmith. It looks like it is going to be a very useful app, albeit it could use a couple of more features. The developers are working hard to add features and customer support is fantastic. Another app I am finding very useful is WebDav Nav + since both Dropbox and MobileMe are WebDav aware. Also, Nav + allows one to set the iPad up as a WebDav server (although I've not tried that out yet).

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts