What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and camera connection kit

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can the Camera Connection Kit do bidirectional transfers?

I tend to use 32GB or larger cards. Maybe a reader that is only for CF would not confuse the iPad.

Maybe I am wanting more than the device can handle?

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bi-directional transferes require jailbreaking, and an app called iFile. That's all I know. I haven't gone the jailbreak route, yet.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did try a CF reader last June when I bought my CC. Neither of mine are self powered and though I was able transfer a few files the first time it quickly threw an error message. I don't have a powered reader but others say they work--most of the time. Its really easy, easier really, to just use the mini USB cable that comes with most cameras and the USB CC. I leave the cable connected to that CC so I don't have to track it down. I've always used a reader but was not going to try and buy a new one when the other option works so well. Just be sure your camera's battery is charged.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I have a small Vivitar 50-in-1 Card Reader. It works with my 4GB CF cards. YMMV

My cards are larger because my files are fairly large and the Ipad just does not have enough power for either of my CF readers (both Sandisk I think) with the larger cards. Transferring them from my 5D via mini USB cable directly to camera is relatively quick. The SD cards I use with another system upload quite quickly with the CC inserted in the power port.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeV99 said:
Have you ever tried an USB CF reader and the CC? I saw a video on the Adorama site about the CC and the presenter suggested its use. My CC comes tomorrow and I will give it a whirl.

Is it possible to travel with only the iPad and use it with Dropbox or MobileMe for storage for a lot of raw files over several days. I need to travel as light as possible. If so, can you offer suggestions as to a workflow?

Photosmith looks like it could be a useful tool if it could be incorporated into a Dropbox workflow.

Thanks,

Mike

Missed your second question. I do travel with 64GB Ipad 1 only. I haven't needed to use Dropbox for storage yet, but its quite possible. Actually on their site that is how they show using Dropbox--storage for photos while traveling.

Photosmith basically, as I understand it, just allows you to tag, do collectione, etc and sync with your LR database when on same wifi network. I'm waiting until the bugs are ironed out and also get a few more reviews. I'm not sure how meaningful for me it would be altho' I've been a LR user since beta 1.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I have a small Vivitar 50-in-1 Card Reader. It works with my 4GB CF cards. YMMV

My cards are larger because my files are fairly large and the Ipad just does not have enough power for either of my CF readers (both Sandisk I think) with the larger cards. Transferring them from my 5D via mini USB cable directly to camera is relatively quick. The SD cards I use with another system upload quite quickly with the CC inserted in the power port.

That's why I added the caveat about the 8GB cards. It was probably another post by you that I was remembering. ;)

My card reader is a very small, meant for laptops, device. That may, or may not have something to do with why it works for me. Then again I've only used it a couple of times, so it's possible I've just been lucky. :)

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once the images are in Photo how can they be moved to the Dropbox? From what I can tell they can only be sent from Photo to MobileMe and only one at a time? Then how to transfer them to Dropbox? I can see the images in Gallery, but not in iDisk. I can see photos in Pictures in iDisk (or QuickOffice) but not in Gallery.

Why do things need to be isolated? Anything else exist that works with the Camera kit to get the images to the iPad then on to the Dropbox via G or WiFi?

What I want is camera -> CF -> iPad -> Review & Delete -> Storage (with reasonable transfer speed). I am coming to the conclusion that the iPad cannot do that unless connected to a desktop/laptop which eliminates the need for the iPad in the first place. Great expectations?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest way is to get an email address associated with your DropBox account and send them that way. You can get one of these at http://sendtodropbox.com/ . The files will show up in the Attachments folder. You'll want to move them for better organization later.

For further convenience you can add the email address to your own contact in Contacts, that way whenever you type your name into an email address bar you will get it as a choice destination.

You can email five pictures at a time this way. Choose the album, tap the edit button, and tap-to-select the five pictures you want to send. You'll have an email button. If you chose more than five the button will grey out.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I did try a CF reader last June when I bought my CC. Neither of mine are self powered and though I was able transfer a few files the first time it quickly threw an error message. I don't have a powered reader but others say they work--most of the time. Its really easy, easier really, to just use the mini USB cable that comes with most cameras and the USB CC. I leave the cable connected to that CC so I don't have to track it down. I've always used a reader but was not going to try and buy a new one when the other option works so well. Just be sure your camera's battery is charged.

I was just trying to find something that would work without tying up my camera. Someone suggested sending the raw to the CF & the jpg to the SD. Not sure I like that idea since it could limit the speed and timing of continuos shots.

Powered reader - more money & time to look for one...

Thanks.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The easiest way is to get an email address associated with your DropBox account and send them that way. You can get one of these at http://sendtodropbox.com/ . The files will show up in the Attachments folder. You'll want to move them for better organization later.

For further convenience you can add the email address to your own contact in Contacts, that way whenever you type your name into an email address bar you will get it as a choice destination.

You can email five pictures at a time this way. Choose the album, tap the edit button, and tap-to-select the five pictures you want to send. You'll have an email button. If you chose more than five the button will grey out.

My raw images may exceed the size allowed by the email server. I will check into it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My raw images may exceed the size allowed by the email server. I will check into it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yep, they may. In that case all I have for you is a two step solution. You do have GoodReader, don't you? :)

Open GoodReader and import the photos to it by using he camera icon at the bottom. It helps if you create a folder for them first, and put them there.

If you haven't already done so the chose the Connect to Servers section to the right and tap the Add button. You will see an option to add your Dropbox account here.

Once it is there, tap on it, navigate to the folder you want the pictures folder to be in, then tap the Upload button. Now navigate to the folder or pictures you want to upload and select them by tapping on the dot to the left of the file or folder. Tap the upload button.

Benefits: You can upload as many files as you want, and organize them as you do so.

Drawbacks: More steps, and you will temporarily double the space required to hold the pictures on the iPad. Be sure to delete the folder in GoodReader when you are done.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fyi, the Dropbox app has an Upload Icon that uploads from Photo. They upload to the root folder. QuickOffice can be used to move them to other folders, but one at a time. Images from Dropbox can be Saved to Photos, but one at a time. Dropbox images can be manipulated online with browser access although the iPad browsers leave a little to be desired. Likewise, Print'n & Share can be used.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I forgot about DropBox.

It used to only upload one photo at a time, but the last update fixed that. Depending on how reliable it is (haven't played with it yet) that would make it a better choice than the GoodReader workaround I outlined.

Good catch. Thanks.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use Amazon Cloud Drive with their ipad? 5gb free storage but I don't know if the goodreader workflow works?

Most reactions