What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and camera connection kit

NDAC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I'm on the edge of buying an iPad 1G, the main reason is to keep my portfolio on it and to see my pictures instant. I was getting ready to buy it, but then I came across that in update 4.2 Apple lowered the USB output from 100mA to 20mA. And I'm not sure if my SD card uses more or less than 20mA..

Random quotes from the internet:

"Using my USB card reader a 1gb CF card worked fine but an 8gb one exceeded the power requirement."

I'm not sure if CF cards use more power than the SD cards, but other users state that their SD cards works just fine. :confused:

I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB.

And a quick bonus question: Will the iPad be able to read my CR2 files from my Canon 1000D (Also known as EOS Rebel XS)?

emmett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used all sorts of SD cards and it works great. Not sure about the bonus question. I have only tried to connect my iPhone usinng the USB connector and that works every time.

Reaction score
All SD cards, up to 32gb I think, will work.

You can also connect the camera directly via USB to the camera connector kit and have the iPad copy over the images. Whether it really works with your exact model, I do not know, but it does work this way for Canon ixus series and should work the same for other cameras.

Slightly wage answer, I know. But the bottom line being, that what you want to do is exactly what the Camera Connector Kit is designed for.

ipadparker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I understand the Camera connection kit will allow a SD card to be placed in it and IPad can read it. The problem with the Canon model, same one I have, is that is uses compact flash cards so the card can not be removed from the camera and read directly. I assume the choices are direct connect the camera which I really don't like to do or fine a card reader that does not use many amps to connect to the USB port of the Camera connection kit.

I am getting ready to buy the kit and would love to just plug in a card reader and let it rip.

Parker

variador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Along the same lines as twerp poet, lost the card reader so I used a regular card reader plugged into the USB reader. Don't have any huge cards though.
It has always worked for me.
Maybe checking out some of the photo forums would give you a good idea of what you can expect using the iPad. There are pros and cons.

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will take an educated guess at the RAW question. I have used the older camera connection kit to transfer photos from my Canon DLSR to the Ipod.

The ipod acts like a hard drive so it will take them and store them but you can't view them.

If we have any app developers out there it'd be great if the ipad had a RAW (esp Canon .cr2) app so you could view them on the device.

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just used the camera connection kit to download a full 8GB SD card worth of pics onto an iPad 2 with no problems, took a little while since it was 8GB but no issues. I was using a lexar professional 133x card.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipadparker said:
From what I understand the Camera connection kit will allow a SD card to be placed in it and IPad can read it. The problem with the Canon model, same one I have, is that is uses compact flash cards so the card can not be removed from the camera and read directly. I assume the choices are direct connect the camera which I really don't like to do or fine a card reader that does not use many amps to connect to the USB port of the Camera connection kit.

I am getting ready to buy the kit and would love to just plug in a card reader and let it rip.

Parker

I shoot with both a Canon 5D which uses CF cards and a couple of Panasonic m4/3 bodies that use SD cards --of which I have a number of different ones. I insert the SD card into the CC and that into the power port of my Ipad. For my 5D I use the mini USB that came with the camera (since I've never connected any of my cameras directly to my computers I had to really hunt down that old USB cable) and I use the other SD connector for my other cameras. Been doing this for almost a year and it works quite well. I also use Dropbox to move image files around from computer to computer. There is also a brandy new app called Photosmith for those of us that use Adobe Lightroom that's worth a look.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera connection kit comes with two dongles, one to plug an SD card into and one to allow you to plug your camera USB cable into. Since the camera is battery powered there are no problems.
If you plug a USB card reader or a high capacity card into the device it might struggle but transferring from the camera itself will be fine.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I shoot with both a Canon 5D which uses CF cards and a couple of Panasonic m4/3 bodies that use SD cards --of which I have a number of different ones. I insert the SD card into the CC and that into the power port of my Ipad. For my 5D I use the mini USB that came with the camera (since I've never connected any of my cameras directly to my computers I had to really hunt down that old USB cable) and I use the other SD connector for my other cameras. Been doing this for almost a year and it works quite well. I also use Dropbox to move image files around from computer to computer. There is also a brandy new app called Photosmith for those of us that use Adobe Lightroom that's worth a look.

Have you ever tried an USB CF reader and the CC? I saw a video on the Adorama site about the CC and the presenter suggested its use. My CC comes tomorrow and I will give it a whirl.

Is it possible to travel with only the iPad and use it with Dropbox or MobileMe for storage for a lot of raw files over several days. I need to travel as light as possible. If so, can you offer suggestions as to a workflow?

Photosmith looks like it could be a useful tool if it could be incorporated into a Dropbox workflow.

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you ever tried an USB CF reader and the CC? I saw a video on the Adorama site about the CC and the presenter suggested its use. My CC comes tomorrow and I will give it a whirl.

Is it possible to travel with only the iPad and use it with Dropbox or MobileMe for storage for a lot of raw files over several days. I need to travel as light as possible. If so, can you offer suggestions as to a workflow?

Photosmith looks like it could be a useful tool if it could be incorporated into a Dropbox workflow.

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I have a small Vivitar 50-in-1 Card Reader. It works fine with my 4GB CF cards. I've heard someone say they've had problems with 8GB cards.

The free DropBox account only has 2GB of data. It's a bit small for RAW photo storage. MobileMe ha 20GB (some of which needs to be allocated to Mail), so it's somewhat better. Neither is going to have enough it you take photos the way I do when I get carried away.

I can't advise on Photosmith, though I've head of it and have hopes for it, I don't have Lightroom so I'm going to pass on it for now.

Most reactions

Latest posts