ipad and apple keyboard in landscape mode

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by wytey, May 11, 2011.

1. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    anyone using their ipad with the official apple keyboard in landscape mode, not the wireless keyboard

its annoying having to keeping taking it out of the case, and the third party extension cable i bought does not work, upon closer inspection, it is missing some pins, which i presume are the ones that deal with the data transfer :(

if i had known that the extension cable did not work, i would have got the wireless one instead... but it looks like i might have to anyway....

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I have the Apple keyboard dock too and never use - *have* never used it for precisely that reason. I never use my iPad in portrait mode - I should have realised :(

Check the pinout here...

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Doh...

Tim
  3. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    i honestly do not know why they left those few pins out....

but seeing as though that extension cable is pretty much useless, might hack it and see if i can make it work.... hope i don't blow the ipad up! :eek:

4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Some members have been able to get USB keyboards to work with the iPad sync cable - what extension cable are you referring to? Surely it would need to be 30-pin to 30-pin. I've not seen one of those.

Tim
  5. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    There are 30-pin to 30-pin plugs, or cables, but they are usually used to connect the iPad to a sound dock.

For example this one:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-ProCable-Extender-19-Inch-iPhones/dp/B002V0SSC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305118007&sr=8-1[/ame]
  6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    OK - should have realised. A hack seems the way to go!! Let us know how you get on - I'll interpret any reply as meaning you've not blown up your iPad...:D

Tim
  7. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    defo, the 30-30 cable seems a touch expensive for 2 extra wires and and 3 pins!

cheers for the pin outs

official cable

1 - Ground
    15 - Ground
    16 - Ground
    23 - 5 VDC (+)
    25 - Data -
    27 - Data +

generic extension cable - 4 wires but only 3 of them used

16 - Ground
    23 - 5 VDC (+)
    25 - Data -
    27 - Data +

So the generic cable is missing 2 Ground connections pins, but the strange thing is that the generic extension cable has the cable for Data +, but no pin.... so from what I can gather is that it just needs the connection pin for the Data +, as the other end has connection pins for all 30 pins, only thing concerning me now is the 2 Grounds that are not being used....

the cable works fine as a power extension cable.... hmz.... more research needed before I put my ipad at risk lol

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    anyone want to donate an official apple cable for me to chop up and merge with the third party extension cable? :p

or know of a place that sells one cheap :)

9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Sounds like a cunning plan by Apple to stop you using that cable for exactly what you want to use it for. I can just imagine a section meeting being called to discuss the design of the cable - several engineers who, of course, would have made it completely compatible with the keyboard and a marketing guy who wouldn't allow them to do that - all while they're eating Danish and sipping on a Starbucks...

But they didn't count on us 'cheap skate' British 'string and sealing wax' innovative hackers......

Now we just need a few verses of 'Rule Britannia'....

Tim
  10. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    lol

after all that work... guess what

after a quick search looking for a cheap cable I could use, I found what looks like a cable that could do the job :|

http://www.cellphonedigitizer.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=GBP&products_id=186

gonna order it, if it works, great nice and cheap, if not, I have the bits I need, win/win situation :D

bah, US company thus higher shipping costs :( still cheaper tho.... ahhh decisions decisions... lol
  11. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    okay, after further inspection with a magnifying glass, pin 27 is actually there, but was pushed back on mine, thus not making a connection, after pushing it in, i am able to use it a charging cable extender

however, it will still not work with keyboard, so it looks like those 2 missing ground connectors are the key missing parts....

just need to find 2 small pieces of metal to make that connection and attach them to the existing ground connector and then pray that I don't blow up ipad, house etc

12. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Let me know how you get on; maybe I could finally use the Apple keyboard dock with a cable!!

Tim
  13. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    struggling :(

problem is with pins 1 and 15, or rather finding something that I can use to make the connection, i've even sacrificed a sony ericsson power cable :D but getting the metal pins to play nicely with the apple connector is a proving to be a pain, and I don't want to sacrifice an apple connector just incase it doesn't work ;)

if I am right, then it is strange why apple did not wire up those 2 connections, and why third parties charge so much!!

14. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Because they know there are not so many people around who will go to the trouble that you've gone to - I sense a market opportunity..:D

Tim

PS - if I sense a market opportunity, then there is none. In 1980 I met Bill Gates who was proposing something called the 'PC' - what, you mean - everyone will have a *computer*??? Yeh - sure!!
  15. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    good news Tim and apple community :D

connecting pins 1 and 15 to ground works woot!

what I did was connect pins 1 and 15 to pin 16 as there was no way I was going to rewire it by adding 2 more wires just for ground when there is already a ground connection :)

just need to find 2 proper connectors, as the any movement breaks the connection atm

oops, slight movement, and I can't get it to work again, but at least we know it is possible now :) just need to use something a bit sturdier than very thin wires lol

slight correction

cable used was a third party extension cable

instructions per above, but purchase 2 extension cables, 1 to be used as the cable. the other for the 2 pins, remove 2 pins from one cable and use them for pin 1 and 15, and then connect them both to pin 16 on the second cable

16. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    given up, with all the twiddling etc, one of the cable to one of the connectors broke :(

after a quick search for another cable, seeing as I need 2 connectors anyway, I found an extension cable :(

£6.99, and considering the one that I have costs £3.99 and does not sync, whereas the £6.99 one does, I've decided to buy it and save myself some headache :) not to mention it looks better instead of the connectors all broken and wires hanging out lol

http://www.blueunplugged.com/Dock-Extension-Cable-Apple-iPhone-iPod.aspx

scrap that, arrived today, works fine as a power extension cable, but does not work with the keyboard :(

Last edited: May 13, 2011