What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD and 3G

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so I bought an IPAD1 without thinking that I will need 3G.

My model has only the 16GB WIFI model....

is there any workaround to get 3G working on my IPAD ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone4 or some Android 'phones, they can act as WiFi hotspots and you can 'tether' (connect) your WiFi iPad via your 'phone. Be aware though, some cellular service providers charge extra for tethering and, in any case, you'll be using data from whatever contract you have on the 'phone.

Tim

OP
G

godwisper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is the HTC Wildfire S any good for this ? and shall I have same service as if having 3G on my IPAD ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - this should work OK - I don't know much about Android 'phones but I think you need Android 2.2 at least. Since the WiFi connection between the 'phone and the iPad will be very much faster than the 3G connection to your 'phone, it shouldn't have any impact.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The hotspot on my Droid X worked fine with he iPad 1. It ran 2.1 thru 2.3 before I sold it.

The only things you don't get is the convenience of instant access (you have to activate and connect to the phone's hotspot, takes about 30 seconds), and the GPS on the iPad. You still have GPS on the phone, of course.

LouDrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does a Motorola phone work? And how do you make connections, hard wire or WiFi?
I have a first edition of the ipad - without G2.
Thanks,
LouDrew

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You don't need a 3G iPad to work. The iPad 1 works fine. Motorola makes a lot of phones. Some can, most can not.

In general only smart phones can create hotspots. That means the phone needs to be Android or an iPhone, and maybe the new Windows 7. You have to ask your provider to be sure, because even some smart phones do not have the ability.

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is WHAT IS THE USER EXPERIENCE OF THE INTERNET OVER A 3G TETHER CONNECTION ON IPAD 2? I am used to a DSL connection at my office (high speed 7 meg). I am looking at getting rid of landlines and internet connection (Verizon) at my office and saving $130 to $140 per month.

I understand that I can use my iPhone 4 to tether to my iPad 2 (wifi only) so i can use the internet on the ipad when there is no wifi availability around me. I also understand that AT&T will charge me $45 a month for that privilege with a 4GB plan. (I now pay $15 a month for 200 megabytes but can't use tethering on that plan).

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's ok for browsing, email, and small downloads. Music/audio streaming is ok. Video can be viewed ok if it's been optimized (low quality) for mobile. Anything much more than that and you'll be pining away for your DSL.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Which ever one serves your area best. If it's about the same, AT&T should be a bit faster. Verizon has better coverage and if you travel and has a better reputation for not dropping phone calls. The GSM from the AT&T can be used in most countries, while Verizon is limited to the U.S. maybe some of Canada.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
godwisper said:
ok so I bought an IPAD1 without thinking that I will need 3G.

My model has only the 16GB WIFI model....

is there any workaround to get 3G working on my IPAD ?

You might look into getting a MiFi from either AT&T or Verizon. Small but mighty. It will provide a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices. Very handy when you travel and don't want to pay for internet. I like mine and have used it on several trips.

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

Most reactions