What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad altitude restrictions

tommyc1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heading of to Nepal to Trek around the base of Everest. Has anyone out there used an Ipad above 10,000 ft. Used my Mac Book Pro in Bolivia at 12,500 and had no issues. I will only turn on at night inside so the temps should not interfere but I'm wondering if the air pressure up there might crack the screen. No one at Apple support could answer the question. Thanks.

Reaction score
Here is another post, which may be of interest for you:

Chances are the OP cares about is this: The IPAD has been certified by the FAA for use by the pilots? Accepted as a flight crew "electronic, which means they can be used for navigation instead of using actual paper charts. To be approved by the FAA, the iPad has been shown to act in a pressure altitude 51,000 feet (in the case of rapid decompression).
So, you will be fine, regardless of what Apple says on its site.

http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1397452.htm

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Apple states that the max. operating altitude should be 10000m. However, those limits are usually given with a bit of free room, so the iPad should still work slightly above 10000feet, but exactly how much, do I not know either.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

That'll be 3000m. I think you are getting your feet and metres mixed up.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Here is another post, which may be of interest for you:

The pressure is the pressure, period. The fact that some pressure is created by blowing air through a tube, which is what, happens in the cabin of the aircraft, no matter the least. His IPAD does not care if some people call it natural pressure or not. Chances are the OP cares about is this: The IPAD has been certified by the FAA for use by the pilots? Accepted as a flight crew "electronic, which means they can be used for navigation instead of using actual paper charts. To be approved by the FAA, the iPad has been shown to act in a pressure altitude 51,000 feet (in the case of rapid decompression).
So, you will be fine, regardless of what Apple says on its site.

http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1397452.htm

In which case.......ignore my previous post!

The Archangel

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tommyc1 said:
Heading of to Nepal to Trek around the base of Everest. Has anyone out there used an Ipad above 10,000 ft. Used my Mac Book Pro in Bolivia at 12,500 and had no issues. I will only turn on at night inside so the temps should not interfere but I'm wondering if the air pressure up there might crack the screen. No one at Apple support could answer the question. Thanks.

A friend had his iPhone when we were in the Bolivian Altiplano , no issues there and none in Nepal either. I'm going back to Bolivia and Peru in a few months and been wondering also if I could bring my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

oakrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad at altitude NO PROBLEM

I just came back from Himalayas, used iPad at 5600 meters (about 18,000 feet) for about a week at a time -- no problem.

(Of course, it's cold up there, and that does affect battery life, so bring a backup battery solution. I used an iSound 16,000 mAh, and it had enough to recharge the iPad twice).

levemarkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All Devices have the same altitude limit so it is not a fault of the iPad. IPad doesn't care if some people call it natural pressure or not. Chance are the OP cares that is, To be approved by the FFA, The iPad has been shown to act in a pressure altitude 51,000 feet. Please produce some more attachments about the topic to view detail information.

Most reactions