What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air With iOS 8.1 Highlighted Text Options Not There

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using an iPad Air with the latest iOS, 8.1. When I highlight text quite often I do not get options for what to do after I have highlighted the text. There was a similar thread but it was for iOS 8.0 and a solution offered was to update to 8.1. Since I have updated to 8.1, I have started a new thread. The issue still exists. Here are a few more specifics:

This usually happens in Safari, but I believe I have also used other apps.

Once the text is highlighted, there is no bar with the options to copy, delete, paste, define, etc. There is just the highlighted items in the blue.

It is a little difficult to de-highlight to try again. Tapping inside the highlighted area or outside (being careful not to touch a link) does not always de-highlight or de-select the items. I have to do it a number of times sometimes. Sometimes I just exit out of Safari or the app. This is not always convenient, and should not be necessary.

Yes, I have done what is always stated. I have force closed all apps, I have rebooted the iPad Air after turning it off and leaving it off for a while. I have done everything.

I am not using any third party keypad. I have not downloaded any third party keypads. I am using the standard keyboard that came on my iPad.

Has there been any word on an iOS 8.2 release? Does anyone know? I am not using the iPad as much now because I am finding too many bugs. It is too frustrating.

I also tried editing this post when I had it in the wrong thread and could not. I wanted to copy what I had typed when I inserted it into the wrong thread and paste it into a new thread. I could not even highlight the text, I saw the words "Select" and I think "Select All" briefly when touching the area where I wanted to copy, They were just there for a flash and disappeared. I could not highlight that text. I just deleted the post instead and started fresh here.

It is doing the same thing right now when I try to highlight text in this edit window. No highlighting is possible. Two options show up for a second, but no highlighting is possible to select text and those two options are only visible for a fleeting second anyways. I think they are "Select" and "Select All" but you cannot choose because they are just flashed very quickly. The editing feature is not not there or working properly all the time. I don't know if this issue is with other pads, I am using the iPad Air.

Please excuse any typos because I am having a hard time editing them out. Thank you.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Afaik, iOS 8.1.1 is supposed to get released soon.

I also experience some of the problems you described, just in Safari, nowhere else. In some cases, this forum's software could be the "culprit".

While I don't really know a solution for your issues, here's a suggestion: send feedback to Apple, hopefully they'll work on a solution. Here's the link:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is not specific to this forum. I think that when they allowed third party keyboards they messed things up with theirs. Just my thoughts. But I will click your link and send feedback to Apple. Thanks for the link.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a known fact that safari does have some problems however it seems to vary depending what model you own. One would expect most of these issues will be resolved soon

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We are all hoping that iOS 8.1.1 takes care of most of these niggling issues that aren't catastrophic but can get irritating.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I have had no issues with my iPhone 6plus or a mini retina wifi. And both devices are used 7/24. I do however spend more time using Tapatalk than safari which may be why I donot notice issues with Safari. I spent 3 days last week researching holiday options surfing the net l again had no dramas. I used google and Safari My aging ipad 3 wifi 64 is more a gaming iPad and remote controller for my Yamaha system and rarely leaves the lounge and Safari is hardly used I have many clients with iPads non have complained about issues most use wifi only. So again it is my belief that a lot of the issues are affecting only certain models off iPads. This is like throwing darts at a board hit and miss.l

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issues and then some!!! I know for sure its the iOS, 8.1 because I have taken my iPad to the Apple Store multiple times to the point of actaully exchanging for a new one last week. (Thank goodness I got Apple Care.) As soon as I did the update, it all came back and I'm kicking myself for doing it. The worst part is, I just bought the Air a couple months ago! I can't do any of the things I normally use my iPad for without running into problems and issues. It mostly affects safari but it's also made my Facebook app much worse. My only option that I can find is to wait for the next iOS fix or trade in for the new Air2 and pay even more.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or you could try using an alternate browser for a while, until Safari is fixe. Chome is ok. Other decent apps are Atomic, and iCab Mobile. Or, if you need Flash sites, Puffin.

These are the alternate browsers I keep in my arsenal for the few times Safari fails me.

Not that I've been having any real problems with Safari lately. A few minor quirks only, that I can usually work around.

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad Air. I tried doIng that but since all links go directly to Safari that just created further frustration for me. I just got off the phone with a long session with Apple support and they've escalated my case and are working on it so, here's hoping!

Kaybyrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Will do. Hopefully they'll have something before midweek next week.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or you could try using an alternate browser for a while, until Safari is fixe. Chome is ok. Other decent apps are Atomic, and iCab Mobile. Or, if you need Flash sites, Puffin.

These are the alternate browsers I keep in my arsenal for the few times Safari fails me.

Twerpoet, I don't understand what you mean with the alternate browser until Safari is fixed above. I have to use Safari to get to Google. How do you bypass Safari? I touch the Safari icon to get started with the browsing and then use Google. Is there something other than Safari to get to Google or Photon, or whatever browser you are using?

Is the issue with Safari or Google's compatibility with iOS 8.1 and a Safari? I hope I explained my confusion clearly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerpoet, I don't understand what you mean with the alternate browser until Safari is fixed above. I have to use Safari to get to Google. How do you bypass Safari? I touch the Safari icon to get started with the browsing and then use Google. Is there something other than Safari to get to Google or Photon, or whatever browser you are using?

Is the issue with Safari or Google's compatibility with iOS 8.1 and a Safari? I hope I explained my confusion clearly.

Safari is just one of several web browsers. Because it's Apple's, it is the default, and most apps support it directly. However, there are third party browsers. To use them you download them from the App Store, and open them, just like you would any other app. For the most part, a web browser is a web browser. The basic functions are all the same. So, yes, you can go to Google or just about any other website in a third party browser.

The main difference is that iOS supports Safari on a system level. That means when you open a website from another app it will probably open in Safari; if the app doesn't have it's own built in web browser like FaceBook does.

Chrome is made by Google, so Google works fine in the Chrome browser. Actually, Google works on just about any browser. It's not a particularly complex service.

Most reactions

Latest posts