iPad Air - Warmer color temp

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Wynamd32, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Wynamd32

Wynamd32
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I bought an iPad Air to replace my iPad 3 (iOS 8 just killed its performance), and got a unit with the dreaded yellow tint on the lower left-hand side (held in portrait). Replaced it with another, and I notice that both have a generally warmer color temp (yellowish tinted whites).

In everyone's experience, is this just how the iPad Air screens are, or is it possible to get a screen with true whites? I use mine for things that primarily utilize white backgrounds and so I'm a bit sensitive to a yellow tint. I went through the same thing with my iPad 3--first one was very yellowish, then I replaced it with one that had very accurate whites.

If they're all this way, then I'll just live with it. But if there's a decent chance of getting one with truer whites, I'd give another replacement a shot. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you've got the brightness turned up at least half way. That might help.

Apple uses (or has in the past) more than one supplier for screens; so there is usually at least a little variation.

That said, my screen looks fairly neutral to me; but that may just be a lack of sensitivity on my part.

3. Wynamd32

Wynamd32
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. I think your right that brightness helps, but it's still pretty yellow. Hmm...

4. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Mine seems to have pretty neutral whites but I have read that a yellow tint is possible with some screens. It does appear to be hit or miss though. I'd try a few more and see if you can get one the way you want it. It's not a cheap device and should be exactly what you want it to be.

5. Wynamd32

Wynamd32
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I tend to agree. I don't want to be unreasonable, and I should point out--I've experienced this issue on a number of other devices as well. This is certainly not limited to Apple and the iPad. But, yes: it's not chump change.