What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air Unresponsive

rexmism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have an iPad Air (A1474). It was working fine, no damage or anything. I was using it one day, and the screen suddenly just went blank like it turned off, even though it was around 90%. I tried charging it, but to no effect. I connected it to a PC with iTunes (12.9.3.3). It says the iPad is in recovery mode. I can choose to Restore and Update. The software downloads and is extracted. It then says the iPad is being prepared, and the Apple logo appears on the iPad screen. A progress bar then appears on the screen for a few seconds, but then iTunes says an unknown error occurred. Last night, it said error 9, but today it says 4000. The Apple logo then goes away. At night, you can tell that it stays backlit for a little while. I can't get it to do anything other than showing the logo upon attempted restore. I tried contacting Apple support, but they think it needs to be seen or sent in. I wondered if anyone else has any ideas. I saw things about Reiboot, but it's not free for the OS repair. I'd pay for a month if it worked, but I don't want to waste my money if it doesn't. Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like a hardware failure. The Genius Bar at an Apple Store could run a full diagnostic to confirm. The appointment is free. If it requires repair, you'll be told what the price is.

OP
R

rexmism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the thought. I was afraid that was the case. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple Store close to me, but maybe someday I'll be near one.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, I have an iPad Air (A1474). It was working fine, no damage or anything. I was using it one day, and the screen suddenly just went blank like it turned off, even though it was around 90%. I tried charging it, but to no effect. I connected it to a PC with iTunes (12.9.3.3). It says the iPad is in recovery mode. I can choose to Restore and Update. The software downloads and is extracted. It then says the iPad is being prepared, and the Apple logo appears on the iPad screen. A progress bar then appears on the screen for a few seconds, but then iTunes says an unknown error occurred. Last night, it said error 9, but today it says 4000.............

Thanks very much for the thought. I was afraid that was the case. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple Store close to me, but maybe someday I'll be near one.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, make sure that Windows and your iTunes version are both up to date on your PC computer; second, use a different USB cord; and third, try DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode - instructions HERE - if still not helping, you might want to try to restore on another computer. Also take a look concerning these 'error numbers' HERE1 and HERE2 (portion of the latter shown in the screen capture below).

If you are still having an issue, then I'd agree w/ Scifan.., i.e. you need some professional help in evaluating the iPad Air's hardware - if you are not near an Apple Store, is there a reputable Apple repair service near you? If not, you can always contact Apple by phone or online, and 'send in' your iPad for an assessment. Keep in mind that the iPad Air was released in late 2013, so an 'old' device - meaning that the cost of a major hardware repair may not be worth the value of the iDevice? If you have a recent iCloud and/or iTunes backup, then a backup restore to a newer iPad (used, refurb, or new) is an option, if in your budget? Dave

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 4.09.46 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts