iPad Air takes top tablet spot in December while iPad 2 sales drop significantly

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Jan 22, 2014.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina
    Expand Collapse
    News Team

Thanks Received:
    CIRP.iPad.mix.2013.png

According to a fresh reporting coming from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, iPad 2 sales have dropped significantly while Apple's fifth generation full-size iPad Air was the most popular iPad over the holidays. CIRP Partner and Co-Founder, Mike Levin, said the following:

The report shows that consumers have shifted towards newer models over the holidays, as iPad Air sales accounted for 41 percent of all iPads sold, while the fourth generation "iPad with Retina Display" made up another 13 percent. The iPad 2, with a lower price, represented only 5 percent of sales. The report says that full sized iPads constituted 59 percent of Apple's tablet sales, while Apple's iPad mini models accounted for 41 percent of sales. The original iPad mini obtained 25 percent of all sales and the Retina-equipped iPad Mini 2 managed to get 16 percent of the mix.

Source: MacRumors

2. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It's time for the iPad 2 to be retired. I loved mine but all good things must come to an end. Why would anyone pay $400 bucks for an iPad 2? Makes ZERO sense.

3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    It makes no logical sense, frankly, but I think Apple knows that some folks will buy it just because it says Apple on it. But all of the lower cost options are obviously starting to become widely known, so Apple needs to up their game.

#3 AQ_OC, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Junior

Junior
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Apple kept that iPad 2 to appeal to budget shopper. Someone wants an iPad but can't afford or justify to cost of buying the latest one for 3 times the price. It's dumb, the iPad 2 is dated. Time to .....

Moderator edit: Please watch the language.

#4 Junior, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  5. tlbaker

tlbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest ...

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

#5 tlbaker, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  6. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    The iPad Mini with retina is the same price as the iPad 2, and its also just the same as the iPad air, but smaller.

7. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That's true but the iPad 2 is priced at too high of a level for what you are getting. It's cheaper but it's a poor value and not really a good buy. Not when you could have a 4th gen refurb for $379 or even a new iPad Air for a hundred bucks more. For the iPad 2 to be a good but it would have to have been priced at $299 or even less.

8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I'd be that Apple could half the price of the iPad 2 and still earn a profit. I'd like to see it for $250.

9. tlbaker

tlbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Maybe they don't want a smaller iPad ...

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

10. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I guess maybe.