What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air takes top tablet spot in December while iPad 2 sales drop significantly

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
CIRP.iPad.mix.2013.png

According to a fresh reporting coming from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, iPad 2 sales have dropped significantly while Apple's fifth generation full-size iPad Air was the most popular iPad over the holidays. CIRP Partner and Co-Founder, Mike Levin, said the following:

Apple managed to shift significant sales to its higher-priced models. For the past year, the legacy iPad 2 grabbed from one-quarter to one-third of iPad sales. Along with the trend toward sale of models with larger storage capacities, Apple should see higher iPad average selling prices, with iPad 2 at only 5% of total sales and iPad mini sales split between the original model and the new iPad mini with Retina display.

The report shows that consumers have shifted towards newer models over the holidays, as iPad Air sales accounted for 41 percent of all iPads sold, while the fourth generation "iPad with Retina Display" made up another 13 percent. The iPad 2, with a lower price, represented only 5 percent of sales. The report says that full sized iPads constituted 59 percent of Apple's tablet sales, while Apple's iPad mini models accounted for 41 percent of sales. The original iPad mini obtained 25 percent of all sales and the Retina-equipped iPad Mini 2 managed to get 16 percent of the mix.

Source: MacRumors

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's time for the iPad 2 to be retired. I loved mine but all good things must come to an end. Why would anyone pay $400 bucks for an iPad 2? Makes ZERO sense.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It makes no logical sense, frankly, but I think Apple knows that some folks will buy it just because it says Apple on it. But all of the lower cost options are obviously starting to become widely known, so Apple needs to up their game.

Last edited:

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Apple kept that iPad 2 to appeal to budget shopper. Someone wants an iPad but can't afford or justify to cost of buying the latest one for 3 times the price. It's dumb, the iPad 2 is dated. Time to .....

Moderator edit: Please watch the language.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple kept that iPad 2 to appeal to budget shopper. Someone wants an iPad but can't afford or justify to cost of buying the latest one for 3 times the price. It's dumb, the iPad 2 is dated. Time to ....

Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest ...

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest ...

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

The iPad Mini with retina is the same price as the iPad 2, and its also just the same as the iPad air, but smaller.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest ... Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

That's true but the iPad 2 is priced at too high of a level for what you are getting. It's cheaper but it's a poor value and not really a good buy. Not when you could have a 4th gen refurb for $379 or even a new iPad Air for a hundred bucks more. For the iPad 2 to be a good but it would have to have been priced at $299 or even less.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd be that Apple could half the price of the iPad 2 and still earn a profit. I'd like to see it for $250.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad Mini with retina is the same price as the iPad 2, and its also just the same as the iPad air, but smaller.

Maybe they don't want a smaller iPad ...

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd be that Apple could half the price of the iPad 2 and still earn a profit. I'd like to see it for $250.

Really, more like $199. At that price level it's worth getting as a second or backup unit. Oh well, it was a fine device while it lasted and there are many out there that will still serve their owners well for years to come. Time to retire it though.

Most reactions

Latest posts