What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad air stops downloading when locked.

seawhale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please advice regarding this very annoying problem, every time i want to download a large application from the store, the download interrupts when the iPad sleeps.

How can I solve this issue?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please advice regarding this very annoying problem, every time i want to download a large application from the store, the download interrupts when the iPad sleeps.

How can I solve this issue?
Do you plug in the iPad? Unless it's plugged in while downloading, the WiFi connection is broken when the iPad goes to sleep, pausing the download. This does not happen when the iPad is plugged in.

OP
S

seawhale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you plug in the iPad? Unless it's plugged in while downloading, the WiFi connection is broken when the iPad goes to sleep, pausing the download. This does not happen when the iPad is plugged in.
You mean that the wifi connection will be broken when locked unless the iPad is plugged into charging, don't you?

The iPad connection via wifi keeps receiving all kind of notifications and emails while in sleep / lock mode which means the connection remains active.

Hey Apple, fix your software and hire better engineers with the lots of money you are collecting from us.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You mean that the wifi connection will be broken when locked unless the iPad is plugged into charging, don't you?

The iPad connection via wifi keeps receiving all kind of notifications and emails while in sleep / lock mode which means the connection remains active.

Hey Apple, fix your software and hire better engineers with the lots of money you are collecting from us.

If I'm not mistaken, that is due to 'background app refresh' feature turned on.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having activities suspended when the iPad is in sleep mode is a deliberate design by Apple. It is to conserve the battery.

Apple has reconfigured how back grounding works in iOS 7 with "background refresh." I couldn't find a specific reference that says downloading an app can be continued if background refresh is on for the AppStore.

Have you tried turning on background refresh and seeing if that makes the iPad continue the download after it's "gone to sleep"? That may solve it.

Marilyn

OP
S

seawhale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, that is due to 'background app refresh' feature turned on.
Having activities suspended when the iPad is in sleep mode is a deliberate design by Apple. It is to conserve the battery.

Apple has reconfigured how back grounding works in iOS 7 with "background refresh." I couldn't find a specific reference that says downloading an app can be continued if background refresh is on for the AppStore.

Have you tried turning on background refresh and seeing if that makes the iPad continue the download after it's "gone to sleep"? That may solve it.

Marilyn

Thanks for your reply.

Background application refresh is turned on for all applications, and app store is not listed in the list, which means that for the app. Store this option is always on and can't be turned off and the proof is you always wake up your iPad and find the available updates for your installed apps. You can even turn on the option of updating them automatically, that means that the app. Store is always working in the background.

Snapshot

sa5anuju.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your iPad is asleep and not plugged into the charger, the WiFi will disconnect unless background app refresh, push notifications, email push updates, etc. are enabled. In that case, the WiFi will turn on long enough to do the updates and receive the notifications, then turn off.

This does not apply to downloads from the App Store and iTunes. Those downloads will pause when the iPad goes to sleep unless the iPad is plugged into the charger. The only way to stop this is to go into settings and set the auto lock time to never so that the iPad never goes to sleep. This will, however, result in much shorter battery life.

Most reactions

Latest posts