What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air Safari showing up on my Macbook.

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air 1 and I have recently bought a Macbook Pro.

The problem is that when I go into either Safari or Chrome on the iPad an icon appears on the Macbook adjacent to, but not in, the Macbook dock, extreme left.

When I hover the curser over the icon it comes up with 'Safari from iPad' and if I click it I get the same page that is showing on the iPad.

I've obviously done something, but what, probably something to do with iCloud perhaps.

My wife uses my iPad, although we have no secrets it's just very annoying.

It may be sensible to give her the iPad and get her own Apple account, how would I go about that please, a link perhaps would be nice.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It may be sensible to give her the iPad and get her own Apple account, how would I go about that please, a link perhaps would be nice.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Actually, it's part of iOS8/Yosemite's Continuity/Handoff feature.

The simplest method would be to set up users with different iCloud accounts, and keep the same AppleID for purchases, etc. at the same time do the same for iMessage and FaceTime so that calls are not ringing on all devices when on the same network.

It should be a matter of creating a second AppleID, then apply that to iCloud (iMessage and FaceTime) on your wife's devices.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201309

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On your MacBook, click the Apple icon at the top left, then select System Preferences, and go to iCloud. If there's a checkmark next to Safari, remove it.
Force quit Safari afterwards and open it again.

Hope that helps.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use Handoff, go to System Preferences > General and uncheck the Allow Handoff setting on your MacBook.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, it's part of iOS8/Yosemite's Continuity/Handoff feature.

The simplest method would be to set up users with different iCloud accounts, and keep the same AppleID for purchases, etc. at the same time do the same for iMessage and FaceTime so that calls are not ringing on all devices when on the same network.

It should be a matter of creating a second AppleID, then apply that to iCloud (iMessage and FaceTime) on your wife's devices.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201309

Arggggghhhh....!

Eighteen months ago I bought 2 x iPads and 2 x iPhones, one each for my wife and one each for me.
In my infinite wisdom, to share apps and tunes I registered them all under ONE Apple ID.
I've regretted it ever since.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Arggggghhhh....!

Eighteen months ago I bought 2 x iPads and 2 x iPhones, one each for my wife and one each for me.
In my infinite wisdom, to share apps and tunes I registered them all under ONE Apple ID.

We have so many iOS devices in our household, most use my AppleID for purchases (apps, etc.) but I am always careful when it comes to iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime not to link my email address or phone numbers to any devices except my own. My daughters both have iPhones, so make sure only their numbers and emails are used on their devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Arggggghhhh....!

To expand a bit on dhewson777's post:

Each iPad can have a different iCloud account, even if the Apple ID's (iTunes Stores) remain the same. This allows you to share all your iTunes purchases while keeping separate email, calendar, and other iCloud synced information. It's still possible to share some things, like calendars, but it's an explicit choice, not automatic.

More recently Apple has created a Family Sharing service that allows you to have completely different Apple ID's on each device, and still share most of your iTunes content.One of the benefits is that you can now create under 13 year old accounts, and apply appropriate controls. This is might be worth exploring in your situation.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This was a feature added with iOS 7:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202530

If you don't want to see the tabs from another Apple device on the Macbook, remove the checkmark for Safari in Sytem Preferences - iCloud.

So help me understand. iCloud and iCloud Drive. On my iPad I have Safari 'on' under iCloud but 'off' under iCloud. Drive. I should have thought turning it 'on' in iCloud would turn 'on' in iCloud Drive but not so for Safari.

If i go, with my Mac to iCloud.com, I see Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iCloud Drive icons. I can open Pages there or I can open the iCloud Drive icon and my
Pages documents are there too, there is no option in settings on iPad to save Pages in iCloud, just in iCloud Drive. Very confusing. What's happening? Why are they in 2 locations?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So help me understand. iCloud and iCloud Drive. On my iPad I have Safari 'on' under iCloud but 'off' under iCloud. Drive. I should have thought turning it 'on' in iCloud would turn 'on' in iCloud Drive but not so for Safari.

If i go, with my Mac to iCloud.com, I see Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iCloud Drive icons. I can open Pages there or I can open the iCloud Drive icon and my
Pages documents are there too, there is no option in settings on iPad to save Pages in iCloud, just in iCloud Drive. Very confusing. What's happening? Why are they in 2 locations?

The way I understand it, iCloud Drive is actual document storage, similar to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. The general iCloud settings are more device and app settings, like Safari bookmarks, etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Handoff is what you want to turn off to prevent Safari links from the iPad showing up on the Mac. On the iPad the settings are in General, right under the Siri settings. If there is a setting on the Mac, I've not been able to find it. But, turning it off on her iPad should be enough.

Turning off all iCloud may do the same, but is probably a bit extreme.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Handoff is what you want to turn off to prevent Safari links from the iPad showing up on the Mac. On the iPad the settings are in General, right under the Siri settings. If there is a setting on the Mac, I've not been able to find it. But, turning it off on her iPad should be enough.

Turning off all iCloud may do the same, but is probably a bit extreme.
See post #6: System Preferences - General - Allow Handoff. (That's what Apple says.)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I haven't looked at this for quite a while. I'll do so when I come home from work. Sorry!

In the meantime, a bit of information about iCloud Drive:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201104

Most reactions