ipad air losing power

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by sam66, Jun 28, 2017.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Thomas - Lithium Ion battery technology is complicated and a number of contradictory comments have been made regarding charging schedules, discharge levels, storage, etc. - below is a listing that I put together a while back from a number of sources (much from HERE).

Just to emphasize a few points: 1) Charge holding - the reason in the last half dozen years or so that I replaced all of my old cordless woodworking tools w/ older battery technology w/ those using Li-Ion batteries; 2) No memory effect - thus, partial discharges/recharges are fine; 3) Cycles (see my post previously on cycles and battery health) - Apple's batteries can handle 500 - 1000 complete discharge cycles while maintaining 80% or so of their health (NOW - I've had a few duds, so do not trust those numbers w/o reservation); 4) Needs computer for management - about once a month, a Li-Ion battery should be nearly completely discharged (I go down to 5%-10% charge left), then recharged to reset the battery monitoring technology for more accurate reporting on the battery's stats; and 5) Prefers partial to deep discharge - as you state, discharging the battery completely should not be done - this will shorten and degrade the battery.

Now there are plenty of articles on battery management, if those interested want to do some googling - Apple has many KB articles - we've also had a LOT of threads in this forum on battery management (a number of which I've left posts). Hope this helps - Dave :)
    ************************************************************************************
    Lithium Ion Battery Technology

Pros
    • Much higher energy density (i.e. lighter)
    • Hold their charge (lose 5%/month vs. 20 NiMH)
    • No memory effect (complete discharge not needed)
    • Handles hundreds charge/discharge cycles
    Cons
    • Degrade as soon as made (not based on use)
    • Sensitive to high temperatures
    • Ruined if completely discharged
    • Needs on-board computer for management
    • Small chance of bursting into flames
    Prefers partial to deep discharge - don’t go to zero DC
    Age from start even if unused (manufacturing date!)
    Avoid heat

#11 giradman, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for that post Dave.

3. ipadairunhappyuser

ipadairunhappyuser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this thread is too old but it seemed to be the most recent one related to battery life for iPad Air. Thought I'd try this before starting a new thread. My Air is first generation bought new about 3 yrs ago. For the last 4-5 months my battery life and indicator have been acting very weird. Initially, battery charge level would seem to drop randomly from some midpoint to very low and then device would die. I'd plug in and it would immediately jump to some intermediate level. The amount of time I could run without charging continued to drop very quickly. I currently can run about 5-10 minutes on battery and it dies (battery shows 100% the entire time). It will last maybe 30-60 minutes on battery in standby mode. I basically have to run connected to power to use the device.

To avoid some questions I saw in other posts. I'm on 10.3.3 and have installed updates soon after they became available. Screen is kept at low brightness, Bluetooth is always off, I have email set for manual updates. I have almost all notifications turned off. I basically have done everything I could find/think of to reduce battery consumption. I don't have a Mac so I can't get coconut battery to check health and I can't find anything that runs on the ipad or on my Win PC to look at the ipad battery the way coconutbattery does. I tried to practice good battery charging hygiene but am sure it went dead a few times while I was using while traveling and also am sure I kept it connected to charger after it reached 100% many times - life gets in the way :)

My key questions:

1 - is this normal expected life for this device and its battery (all my other devices have gotten much much longer life following the above practices). This is my first Apple product and I can't say I'm impressed with a 3 year planned obsolescence for an expensive device like this.
    2 - Are there any known issues for this generation of Air? My searching is inconclusive.
    3 - is there any reason to think Apple would stand behind their product for something 3 yrs old if this is not expected life for the battery?

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to iPad Forums!

There shouldn’t be a problem when you run down the battery completely, if you don’t wait too long to charge it. Also, keeping it connected after it’s charged completely doesn’t reduce battery life.

I’ve owned an iPad Air (1st generation) until last year. Then I gave it to my daughter, and she still uses it. It’s battery life is nowhere near your experience, and I can assure you that she’s not really one of those who take great care of her devices.

Afaik, there are no known issues for this device.

To find out what’s wrong with it, take it to the next Apple Retail Store. Diagnosis is free. They will tell you exactly what’s causing your problem, and if it has to be repaired, they’ll also tell you how much it will cost.

5. ipadairunhappyuser

ipadairunhappyuser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the quick response. Glad your daughter's experience is better than mine. Will try to get to a store when I'm in a town that has one ... and I don't feel like sending it in for diagnosis. I may be at point that it would be good money after bad.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello - my post above is from June 2017, so the information is current. Also, I agree w/ Johanna on having your iPad evaluated for its 'Battery Health' - I have a 3 y/o iPad Air 2 w/ a degrading battery - also Coconut Battery is on my Mac computers - just ran the app on my MBPro (the computer is 3 years old but Apple replaced the battery which is just 1 year) and also on my iPad - below is a combo screen capture - the laptop battery looks great, but the one in the iPad is 'sick' - the battery in the latter will charge to 100% and if I then do a 'Reset' the 'Battery Health' would likely be about 60% (a simple ratio shown on the bottom right of the iPad results) - NOTE that I have over 500 cycles on the iPad battery, but in general at that cycle count, the 'Battery Health' should be 80% or better - I'll be replacing that iPad soon, so not a major issue for me.

From your description, I would suspect that your cycle count is high and your 'Battery Health' poor - without having an app to do the same type of testing as shown below, then you need an assessment by Apple. Your warranty is over (even if you had AppleCare), so Battery Replacement Options can be seen in the link - a difficult DIY project and a $100 USD charge, if done by Apple - you have an older iPad model (not sure how much storage is in the device - a factor for consideration if low) and your best option may be (like me) getting a newer iPad - good luck and let us know your results if the device is tested. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 5.45.29 PM.png