What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air - data transfer and SIM question

sandiewk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help.
I just bought a refurbished Ipad Air and find that it needs a SIM card. First question is, will it work without a SIM.
Second question is how to transfer data, using icloud from Ipad2

Regards

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will work without a SIM card.

A backup to iCloud will transfer all of your settings to the iPad Air, when you restore from it. Here's what else is backed up by iCloud:
What does iCloud back up?

Depending on what else you need to transfer:
Photos will be synced to the iPad through iCloud Photo Library.
If you have files that don't sync to other iDevices, save them to iCloud Drive (an app made available by Apple), so they will also be available on your iPad Air.
Online services such as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive will show their content on any device as soon as you log in.

OP
S

sandiewk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will work without a SIM card.

A backup to iCloud will transfer all of your settings to the iPad Air, when you restore from it. Here's what else is backed up by iCloud:
What does iCloud back up?

Depending on what else you need to transfer:
Photos will be synced to the iPad through iCloud Photo Library.
If you have files that don't sync to other iDevices, save them to iCloud Drive (an app made available by Apple), so they will also be available on your iPad Air.
Online services such as Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive will show their content on any device as soon as you log in.

OP
S

sandiewk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for getting back to me. As I have purchased a refurbished iPad air I have not arrived at the set up screen. I was hoping to back up my old ipad2 and have the facility to go to icloud and restore from there but I don't seem able to do that from settings on the iPad air. Is there a simple way if doing this? Sorry to be so dim.....

OP
S

sandiewk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Erase the iPad completely (in Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings). Then you'll arive at the setup screen, where you can restore from the iCloud backup.
Fantastic, it worked. Thanks again your advice was very much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts