What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air Crashes every time I click the search bar in Safari

Sangpo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have installed the latest update, but it's still not letting me search for anything. I've also reduced the number of pages I have open. I tried to close the apps by double clicking the home button, but it didn't work. Any help gratefully received - it's pretty unusable if I can't search the web.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try resetting your device:
Press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both. Your iPad will power up on it's own.
This kind of reset won't remove data or change settings.

Something else to try would be this: in Settings - Safari, disable Search Engine Suggestions and Safari Suggestions. There seems to be a bug in iOS 9.2.1 which affects Safari, and this should help.

If you installed the update over the air (Settings - General - Software Update on your device), you should try restoring your iPad via iTunes. This will install a fresh, bug-free new software version on your device.
Before restoring, male sure there's a most recent backup to restore from. This can be a backup to iTunes or iCloud, whichever you prefer. Then restore your iPad.
After restoring, reset your iDevice, using the method described above.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sangpo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much - I'll try your first suggestion right now. It was happening before I installed the new update, so let's hope I don't have to do suggestion no 3, as I wouldn't know how. Off to reset...

OP
S

Sangpo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A. You are indeed an IPad legend! No 1 didn't work, but disabling safari suggestions did. Will I be able to switch them back on when the new update is ready?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure. If the next update addresses this glitch, you can enable that feature again.

OP
S

Sangpo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Let's hope so, Scifan says it's now been fixed, so I'll re-enable them to see. Thanks for you help, both - really appreciate it!

OP
S

Sangpo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, Apple hasn't fixed this problem - I've gone back to disabling Safari suggestions.

Most reactions