What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air charging issue...sorry, I know it's been done to death

13Tiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad Air for a few years. Recently, I have had an issue trying to charge it. Up until the last two days I have been successful, but she has given up on me. I have tried the following...

A hard reset
A new lightening cable
The charger works fine as I use it for my iPhone
I have plugged it into my desktop
Cleaning out any areas where dust may be

I feel that the issue may be the lack of contact between the cord and iPad itself. I have moved it around to different powerpoints and eventually after reinserting it several times, the battery symbol would turn to green and the lightening bolt would appear.
I live in Australia. Do I have any other option apart from taking it back to the Apple Store for repair? Has anyone had a similar experience to me?

Thanks guys.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have had my iPad Air for a few years. Recently, I have had an issue trying to charge it. Up until the last two days I have been successful, but she has given up on me. I have tried the following...

A hard reset
A new lightening cable
The charger works fine as I use it for my iPhone
I have plugged it into my desktop
Cleaning out any areas where dust may be

I feel that the issue may be the lack of contact between the cord and iPad itself..........

Hello - first, I'm assuming that you are using a 10W iPad charger (i.e. 5V x 2A) and also that the lightning cables are quality ones and that those not working w/ the iPad do charge your other iDevices.

Second, explain further 'cleaning out any areas where dust may be' - I'm assuming that you 'cleaned out' the lightning port? If so, what methods did you use? Lint/debris can accumulate in that port and cause charging problems - there are some 'dos & donts' - see this lively MacRumors Discussion.

Using a bright flashlight, examine the inside of the lightning port for any foreign matter; if present, then decide if you want to try a 'cleaning' - I would NOT use compressed air - might enter and potentially damage adjacent electronics and also be contaminated w/ water; a small computer vacuum is an option; finally, using a thin non-metallic probe would be another consideration (some 'safe' ones are mentioned in the link above) - keep in mind that the tiny pins inside this port are on the bottom. If none of this helps and you are still having charging issues, then a visit to an Apple store may be in order - good luck. Dave :

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There have been instances of charging ic failures on the ipad air. These will require board level repair by a third party , Apple will only offer you an out of warranty exchange. With that being said, try a known working 10-12w charger and cable and leave it sit over night.

question: have you used non Apple Chargers and cables with your device?

Most reactions

Latest posts