1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad air case

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by karpcb, Nov 2, 2013.

1. karpcb

karpcb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yesterday I bought ipad air and this is my first ipad. Somewhat I don't like apple smart case or cover because of uncomfortable angle viewing. Can u please suggest some third party case sold in retail stores??
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I 'm looking also. This is my third ipad so i have a number of cases and covers LOL so know what I want this time. I want light but reasonably protective, several angles for viewing and typing, auto on/off cover. The STM Grip 2 appears to meet all of this criteria at about 6 ounces but it won't be available for maybe 5 weeks. I'm scrambling for something to use in the interim. My husband will likely choose either my Logitech ultrathin keyboard case or the Targus case for the ipad 3 he will inherit from me--both nice but i actually want something even lighter but otherwise very similar to the Targus.

Anyone find something that is really basic, light and protective of screen and back with auto cover??
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mesue

mesue iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just ordered my iPad Air. I am holding out for the Native Union Gripster stand which I have for the iPad 3. I have tried so many holders and stands and this is the best I have found. I wrote to the company and they say the iPad Air version should be out by the end of the year. Until it comes out I will just use the Smart Cover.
  4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    I too am looking for a case, there's quite a few on Amazon, some are available from the middle of the month, until i find one i have the slip case from my previous iPad, i do feel it's a bit vulnerable at the moment though.
  5. Pwilkins

Pwilkins iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does the Air even fit in the older cases? I have at least 5 for my iPad 2, I figured they would be useless once I upgrade.
  6. Pwilkins

Pwilkins iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Is the grip steer a case you carry around, or a stand for a desk or table?
  7. Pwilkins

Pwilkins iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have always purchased them on eBay. Anywhere from $10-15 each. I like the rotating ones that stand up in portrait or landscape modes. They get kind of floppy after lots of use, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mesue

mesue iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's both, really. It attaches to the back of the iPad, protecting the back, but it also has a D-shaped grip on the back that pivots and rotates to any angle so it can be used as both a grip and a stand that goes to portrait or landscape and any angle. It's nice because when you do want to prop it up, you don't have to go get another stand. It's always attached. And it can be used with the Smart Cover. Most of the time, I don't even hold my iPad, I just prop it on my belly with the Smart Cover folded back for extra stability.

I have a review on my personal site but I'm apparently not allowed to post links here. Look it up. It really is wonderful. Ah, I have a picture… mine is black, but my sister bought the silver and it shows fingerprints a lot less.
    [​IMG]
  9. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    No, the older cases and Smart covers won't fit the Air, it's smaller and thinner, my leather Smart cover is redundant now as is my back cover.
  10. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Nope, none of the older cases fit. I have a stack--but my husband inherited my Three so he can use the Targus, Logitech keyboard and the cheap "smart cover" and gel back (though the SC is PINK which was all that was available at the time LOL). I have pulled out the original ugly rubbery Ipad One cover--we have two of them--and am using it just for safety--it keeps it light and not slippy and covers the screen. The Air moves around in it and I have to wiggle it to reach the ports and power button but there really isn't anything available except Apple covers and cases and I feel they are over priced and not what I want anyhow.
  11. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    Today i went to the Apple store and treated myself to the official leather Smart case, expensive but very nice....I got Red.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Mickey330

Mickey330 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667 / 0
    Ooh, I'll bet that looks nice! I got the Product Red Smart Cover - I imagine having both case and cover looks kewl as heck! :)

Marilyn
  13. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    Yes it does look really nice, everything is covered, there's no open sides, I had no problem choosing the colour as red is my fave colour :) Nice having the Apple logo on the back too.
  14. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    So far I'm trying to stay light this time and picked up a blue Smart Cover only today. I've had the leather SlickWrap on my ipad 2 for almost 3 years and it held up well. I notice that SlickWrap just came out with their new ipad air covers today. Tempting! So many decisions!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  15. wrathchild

wrathchild iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The viewing angle on the smart case for the air is much better than the original. I can't begin to describe just how much nicer it looks too. Well worth the money.
  16. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    I'm afraid i had to return my Apple Smart case to the store, the cover didn't sit flush and the stand collapsed several times so i'm back to the search again, any input will be welcome, I have seen a Jammy Lizard one i like on Amazon.
  17. jimt29

jimt29 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yesterday I received a Fintie SmartShell Case for Apple iPad Air. It cost $.01 plus $4.99 for delivery. (Amazon) It covers the whole iPad and has the smart cover to wake the iPad when it is opened.

Fit is fine. It just snaps in. Very light and looks fine. Plus for 5 bucks it's perfect for while I look around for the "perfect" case.
  18. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    It does look nice, i looked on Amazon UK, doesn't seem to be available here.
  19. jimt29

jimt29 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My favorite case for the iPad 3 was by Zenus. The case is great but had a problem and because I purchased from a reseller they refused to honor the guarantee. I actually purchased two of them. The first one had an issue with the covering developing a small hole that got bigger as time went by.

So I ordered another one and this one was fine for about a month when the stitching on the tab that kept the cover closed became frayed. Nothing touched that stitching to cause it to fray so I figured it was a bit of defective thread. Again Zenus would not honor the guarantee even though the case was under a month old.

But in fairness to Zenus if the case has no problems it is a great looking case that fits well and was just what I wanted.
  20. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Thanks. i just need something to tide me over until i find something I really like. I'm using the old ipad one rubbery case LOL--just to keep it from slipping out of my hands and also to cover screen when I stick in my bag (I use a Rickshaw Ipad bag or stick it one of my camera bags with a slot for the ipad)