What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air battery

Raiderspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought an iPad Air and it looks like the battery level drains a little faster than my iPad 2. I've adjusted the brightness level and turned off the location services all apps but maps. I've heard the battery is much better on the Air. Am I missing something?
Thxs

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought an iPad Air and it looks like the battery level drains a little faster than my iPad 2. I've adjusted the brightness level and turned off the location services all apps but maps. I've heard the battery is much better on the Air. Am I missing something?
Thxs

These batteries improve with time - at least that's what I've seen on all of my iOS devices. Give the device some time to "settle down into a routine". My iPad 4 battery ran out quickly when it was new, but it now lasts over 24 hours with light to moderate use.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well, I'm still on an iPad 2 w/ excellent battery life - you might want to pick up a battery app for your iDevices just to be a little more 'scientific' rather than guessing - the two that I have on my iPad are ' Battery Life' & 'Battery HD+', both in the App store. Dave :)

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
These batteries improve with time - at least that's what I've seen on all of my iOS devices..

Yes.. My Air seemed a bit battery hungry at first but after a month or so, it settled down and the drain seems 'normal' now... Apple recommends going through at least one charge cycle per month for proper reporting of the battery's state of charge. Apple (United Kingdom) - Batteries - iPad ... So I'm guessing that the brand new battery in a brand new iPad needs a few discharges so the battery condition indicator ca properly 'calibrate' itself.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought an iPad Air and it looks like the battery level drains a little faster than my iPad 2. I've adjusted the brightness level and turned off the location services all apps but maps. I've heard the battery is much better on the Air. Am I missing something? Thxs

If you have background app refresh turned ON then that will also use more battery. So will push notifications and Bluetooth. The maps location services feature will use a little more juice too. Give it some time as well, as others have said - the batteries in these things tend to learn and get better after a few charge cycles. Overall, the battery in the Air has been as good or better than my iPad 2 which always had a great battery.

OP
R

Raiderspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll let it settle down and run through a full cycle and see if that helps. I'll also try the battery hd app

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll let it settle down and run through a full cycle and see if that helps. I'll also try the battery hd app

Keep in mind that a battery tracking app may need to run in the background all the time, and in doing so ,would be using more battery life itself. I view this as defeating the purpose.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Keep in mind that a battery tracking app may need to run in the background all the time, and in doing so ,would be using more battery life itself. I view this as defeating the purpose.

Well, these battery apps are pretty 'useless' in my experience - yes, information is given as to what times remain to do certain tasks, e.g. playing music, watching movies, etc. Now, when closed (although remaining in the multi-task screen), I really doubt that there is any substantial impact on battery life at least in the two that I suggested.

When initially obtaining these apps, I was hoping that more information would be provided on 'battery health' (i.e. full cycles remaining for charging - which is easily obtainable on my MBPro w/ an app); I exchanged a few emails w/ one of the developers of an iPad battery app I was using - apparently, iOS does not allow monitoring of this information which would be useful for an 'aging' iDevice.

SO, my bottom line is that I doubt these really 'run' in the background, unlikely use battery power when listed in the multi-task screen, and are pretty much of no value - BUT, just my 2 cents. Dave :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also turn off the Parallax effect which is found in Settings - General - Accessibility - Reduce Motion
And have a look at which wallpaper your using, the Dynamic will use more battery life, so select 'Stills' or one of your own photos for this.
You could also turn off Automatic Downloads also - Settings - iTunes and App Store - Automatic Downloads.

These steps will save you more battery life......I've found mine has also improved with the last update to 7.1

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could also try to turn off "push" for email and "fetch" instead. The longer fetch the better.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, these battery apps are pretty 'useless' in my experience - yes, information is given as to what times remain to do certain tasks, e.g. playing music, watching movies, etc. Now, when closed (although remaining in the multi-task screen), I really doubt that there is any substantial impact on battery life at least in the two that I suggested. When initially obtaining these apps, I was hoping that more information would be provided on 'battery health' (i.e. full cycles remaining for charging - which is easily obtainable on my MBPro w/ an app); I exchanged a few emails w/ one of the developers of an iPad battery app I was using - apparently, iOS does not allow monitoring of this information which would be useful for an 'aging' iDevice. SO, my bottom line is that I doubt these really 'run' in the background, unlikely use battery power when listed in the multi-task screen, and are pretty much of no value - BUT, just my 2 cents. Dave :)

I agree, they are fairly useless. I had one for a few weeks and was wondering what the heck the benefit was. Tuns out there really wasn't one. ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd give it some time, but the first thing to do is control screen brightness. I never go above 50% and even less can work. After that, let the iPad go through several cycles of charging. Then consider the many other tweaks. I find that many of these features enhance usability. I also keep a charger at work, at home, and in the car. I don't like to be a slave to battery life as this limits the usefulness of the device. I keep mine juiced up so I can get full use of it. That way, the money I spent will be worth it. I don't expect to use one for more than 3 years, even though I think many do.

OP
R

Raiderspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd give it some time, but the first thing to do is control screen brightness. I never go above 50% and even less can work. After that, let the iPad go through several cycles of charging. Then consider the many other tweaks. I find that many of these features enhance usability. I also keep a charger at work, at home, and in the car. I don't like to be a slave to battery life as this limits the usefulness of the device. I keep mine juiced up so I can get full use of it. That way, the money I spent will be worth it. I don't expect to use one for more than 3 years, even though I think many do.

Thanks AQ_OC.. I've noticed a difference already . I ran it down to 12% yesterday and got a full charge on it and I can see a difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts