What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 semi-bricked?

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to use my JB iPad Air 2 tonight, only to find that it keeps getting stuck in a reboot cycle. Endlessly. Just sitting at the white screen with black apple logo forever.

Turning it off and on does nothing, it just keeps getting stuck.

No idea what happened; I was using it just fine last night, put it away, and didn't touch it at all, yet tonight when I go to use it again, it keeps getting stuck in the reboot loop.

If I try to Recovery Mode -> iTunes, iTunes keeps prompting me to update it to 9.1

Dafuq is going on?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can't exit the bootloop, you'll have to do the update through iTunes to get a functioning iPad. This will, however, get rid of your jailbreak as iOS 9.1 currently has no available jailbreak.

This tutorial will help if there are any problems. Following every step exactly will get you a functional iPad on the current iOS version. TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Ah well. There's really not much I use JB for anyways; just Flux at the moment seeing as BTC Mouse hasn't updated yet.

But still, what happened here? Why did my iPad go from "perfectly functional" to "stuck in boot loop and requiring restore/update" seemingly by itself?

I literally didn't touch it at all; it has been sitting in my bag for the past 22 hours, untouched. Worked fine last night, no problems at all, yet all of a sudden it's stuck in a boot loop. Wat.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could have been a compatibility issue with one of your tweaks. You could try deleting any recently deleted tweaks that you addedshortly before the problem started, one at a time, after you get your jailbreak back.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hadn't installed or changed any of my tweaks, no.

And how would I go about adding/removing tweaks if I can't even get into the ipad? :p

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hadn't installed or changed any of my tweaks, no.

And how would I go about adding/removing tweaks if I can't even get into the ipad? :p
You'll have to wait for the next jailbreak. Then, if you have the same problem with the bootloop, you can restore and re-jailbreak, then try to discover which, if any, jailbreak tweaks or apps are causing the problem

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just not sure which tweak would have caused an infinite boot loop, like that. Like I said, I hadn't installed or changed any tweaks for at least 3-4 days prior; my iPad was functioning fine. Seemingly on its own, it got stuck in a boot loop.

Like literally I hadn't touched it at all between Saturday night and Sunday night, and despite being perfectly fine Saturday night, it was stuck in a boot loop Sunday night.

So either some tweak went completely haywire, or there's some horrible conspiracy about Apple remote-bootlooping jailbroken devices!!! ...yeah, probably not. But I really can't think of any other explanation. Never had this happen ever, on any of my jailbroken devices.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Computers are complicated.

It could have been a combination of things, an interactions between tweaks. It could have just a matter of time, until a memory leak in a tweak reached a threshold. And it could have nothing to do with your tweaks, a random error in iOS, a couple bits flipped in an iffy bit of RAM, a one in a million combination of settings and apps.

With all the iPads out there, and all the combinations of software, someone is going to have unexplained problems. You got lucky.

In other words, not much point in over thinking it. Unless it happens again, of course.

Most reactions

Latest posts