What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 (Second Generation) May Be Sporting 2GB of RAM

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
ipad_air_touch_id_mockup.jpg
For some time now, Apple has been lagging on upgrading the RAM in its iPads. However, according to a new report, Apple may be upgrading our favorite tablet's RAM from 1GB to 2GB.

While the 4th generation iPad and iPad Air currently sport 1GB of RAM, Taiwan's TechNews reports that the next iteration of the iPad Air will get an exclusive update to 2GB. Unfortunately the news site also reports that the Retina iPad Mini second generation will be left behind, still sporting 1GB of RAM.

Apple has probably been keeping the RAM at 1GB to save money on costs and space inside of the device. More RAM also equals more battery usage, and we all know how well the battery does in most iPad models.

Rumors have been flying around that the iPad would be receiving split-screen multitasking in iOS 8. However the rumors also claim that the feature won't be ready for release until a future update, such as iOS 8.1. Split-screen multitasking on the iPad models has been rumored to run two separate apps, side-by-side in sizes like; 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4. Running two apps will definitely put the tablet to work, so more rams and the A8x process will come in handy for sure.

As with previous years and rumors around the web, Apple is planning to unveil the new iPad Air 2 and Retina iPad Mini 2nd generation at an event, separate from the iPhone event, in October. A little bird also told us that this is when Apple might be planning to unveil the rumored iWatch, however the device might not release to the public until next year.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know that this RAM thing has been a big issue for some people. I believe the safari browser and it's poor memory manager are to blame for tab reloads and browsing woes but many folks feel it's the amount of RAM. We shall see.

Interestingly, I've never experienced any of the browsing or tab reloading issues myself. Maybe my iPad mistakenly already has 2GB of RAM? :)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know that this RAM thing has been a big issue for some people. I believe the safari browser and it's poor memory manager are to blame for tab reloads and browsing woes but many folks feel it's the amount of RAM. We shall see.

Interestingly, I've never experienced any of the browsing or tab reloading issues myself. Maybe my iPad mistakenly already has 2GB of RAM? :)

I'm jealous at you. That always happens to me.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm jealous at you. That always happens to me.

Doesn't make much sense. There are many of us that don't have this happen but many that do. Perhaps it's site specific or whatever else. No idea. Extra RAM can't hurt though so hopefully they do it.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doesn't make much sense. There are many of us that don't have this happen but many that do. Perhaps it's site specific or whatever else. No idea. Extra RAM can't hurt though so hopefully they do it.
Well maybe having an iPad 2 explains it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well maybe having an iPad 2 explains it.

The iPad 2 only has 512 MB of RAM. So, yes, it has more memory problems than the later generations; which all have 1 GB.

Apple going to 2 GB of RAM would be both a blessing and a curse. Blessing, because more is almost always better, though not always significantly better. A curse, because Apple won't add extra RAM on a whim. If they add extra RAM it will be because they think iOS and newer apps will need it for best performance.

Most reactions

Latest posts