What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Air 2 /iPad 2 : Are these the same?

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mini died (see thread in mini forum) and I bought an iPad Air 2.

Is this the same one that Apple is discontinuing? I saw the list, but it is quite confusing to someone who is not familiar with the different products and their 'formal' names.

Also, I am taking my mini to the Apple store to see if it is a battery problem...how can I tell if it is one on the list? I purchased it in 2013.

Thanks for any info...mu head is spinning trying to figure this out...;^)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the iPad 2 that will not get iOS 10.?

When in 2013 did you buy the iPad mini? The iPad mini 2 was introduced in November 2013.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's the iPad 2 that will not get iOS 10.?

When in 2013 did you buy the iPad mini? The iPad mini was introduced in November 3013.

Scifan.. - wish that I could live to see what iPads are offered 100 years from now! ;) Dave

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My mini died (see thread in mini forum) and I bought an iPad Air 2.

Is this the same one that Apple is discontinuing? I saw the list, but it is quite confusing to someone who is not familiar with the different products and their 'formal' names.

Also, I am taking my mini to the Apple store to see if it is a battery problem...how can I tell if it is one on the list? I purchased it in 2013.

Well, the iPad Air 2 is the one that I'm currently using and no plan to replace in the 'near' future - works fine for me and will be able to upgrade to the newest iOS when released (soon!) - shown below are the iPad models listed on the Apple site. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 8.01.52 PM.png

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipad Air 2 is the newest Air--upgrade to the Air and just before the Ipad Pro 9.7". The Ipad 2 was the second Ipad--quite old technically and not retina screen so I think it can't be updated to IOS 10.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ipad Air 2 is the newest Air--upgrade to the Air and just before the Ipad Pro 9.7". The Ipad 2 was the second Ipad--quite old technically and not retina screen so I think it can't be updated to IOS 10.

Hi Diane - no need to think about the 2011 iPad 2 - defunct for an iOS 10 upgrade - those owning and keeping this aging iDevice are now stuck w/ iOS 9.x - Dave :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Diane - no need to think about the 2011 iPad 2 - defunct for an iOS 10 upgrade - those owning and keeping this aging iDevice are now stuck w/ iOS 9.x - Dave :)

Yes, we are. However, me and my old iPad2 have seen some miles together so I have no complaints.

My wife asked me if I wanted an iPad for my 50th birthday. My reply was "Why would I want a big phone, that doesn't make phone calls?" She bought it anyway, and it proved invaluable, first as a GPS/mapping device while I was working in the Canadian oilfields, later as a remote control for my home theatre system.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, that's right. Talked my brother and sister in law into upgrading from their old Ipad 2s by telling them they would be defunct next upgrade . I have an Air (which was an upgrade from an iPad 3 which was an upgrade from my iPad 1, bought the first week of IPad life) that I have kept for streaming to BT or Apple TV when I bought my 12.9" Ipad Pro. My husband's Air 2 probably has a couple of upgrades in its future though.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A long time ago, I seem to remember suggesting that old iPads would make good storage media for music collections. Of course, there weren't any old ones then, but now? The price you can pick them up for starts to make the idea viable.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A long time ago, I seem to remember suggesting that old iPads would make good storage media for music collections. Of course, there weren't any old ones then, but now? The price you can pick them up for starts to make the idea viable.
That will be even more viable when today's 256GB iPads become old.

Most reactions

Latest posts