What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 History

Ysleb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't all the websites I visited appear in my history? And, the latest sites that do appear in History are those visited a few days ago. I don't recall having this issue with the iPad 2 that I used to have. Anything I can do to fix this?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why don't all the websites I visited appear in my history? And, the latest sites that do appear in History are those visited a few days ago. I don't recall having this issue with the iPad 2 that I used to have. Anything I can do to fix this?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You might provide some information to help w/ your question: 1) What iOS version is installed on your device (current one is 8.3); and 2) I assume that you are using Safari - correct? There are a handful of web browsers that can be used on the iPad.

For starters, try to 'Force Close' Safari (again my assumption) - if not helpful, you might try going down the list below - good luck and let us know what happens. Dave

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
Y

Ysleb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You might provide some information to help w/ your question: 1) What iOS version is installed on your device (current one is 8.3); and 2) I assume that you are using Safari - correct? There are a handful of web browsers that can be used on the iPad.

For starters, try to 'Force Close' Safari (again my assumption) - if not helpful, you might try going down the list below - good luck and let us know what happens. Dave

Thank you, Dave, for the warm welcome! I do have the most current 8.3 version on my iPad Air 2 and I am indeed using Safari. I followed your advice and performed 1) Force Close, 2) Restart, and 3) Reset and checked my History, which listed up to what I Googled this morning. The sites I visited just before I read your reply does not appear. I suppose it's an improvement from having the latest entry from 2 days ago, but shouldn't History reflects sites up to the last attempt?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you are not accidentally entering Private browsing mode. The URL and tool bar will be gray with white icons and text instead of the usual white with blue icons and black text.

No history will be recorded when you are in private browsing mode.

Private browsing mode is turned on/off by tapping the double square icon, then the word Private.

OP
Y

Ysleb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you are not accidentally entering Private browsing mode. The URL and tool bar will be gray with white icons and text instead of the usual white with blue icons and black text.

No history will be recorded when you are in private browsing mode.

Private browsing mode is turned on/off by tapping the double square icon, then the word Private.

Hurrah! It worked! I didn't even know how to turn Private Browsing on or off until twerppost's post , so I had no idea it was turned on. I can see History up to the minute now. Thank you!

Just curious - if I had turned on Private accidentally, wouldn't there be no History at all? How come History, consistently a few days behind, still show up for a albeit a couple of days behind, still show up?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You probably turned it on/off a few times. It's not hard to do if you're using the double square icon to delete tabs. You can also enter the tab delete view by pinching the screen. Private browsing prevents history from being recorded. It does not delete what has already been recorded.

Another weird thing about private browsing is the mode keeps it's own tabs. You can actually switch back and forth between private mode and normal mode with different tabs open in each.

Most reactions