What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 2 Charging Time

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since both cables are worn right after the strain relieve sleeve, I'd guess it's excessive bending, especially if you tend to leave the iPad charging in a stand that crimps the cable close to the device. It's a known issue with Apple's charging cables, though hardly limited to them. Any light cable can fray near the end if it gets a lot of flexing there.

The cable for the 10 and 12 watt power supplies are the same. It is only the power supplies themselves that are different. Heck, the cable for the little 5 watt iPhone power supply is the same. I suppose because it would be too complicated and more expensive to make a dozen cables, one for each device and power supply.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my case, it's not a charging stand. My iPad is lying flat on the bedside table when it's charging, and the power outlet is at the same level as the iPad.

It might have been twisted when I opened the case while charging, though, which happens from time to time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you use the iPad while it's plugged in? Probably not, but that would be the biggest cause of wear and tear.

Still, it doesn't really matter. Apple's cables aren't the sturdiest you can get. In this instance, perhaps put a bit to much emphasis on good looks over durability.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rarely, but yes: I used it while charging. :oops:
Not any more since this happened, though.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, I have both the 10 volt charger and the 12 volt charger. The cord on the 12 volt charger is frayed (see photo). My question is, can I safely connect the cord from the 10 volt charger to the 12 volt charger and not have it cause any problems for my iPad? And yes, both chargers are Apple products.

Hello again - well, your chargers' power is in wattage (both are 5 V w/ slightly different amperage). There is no problem using a Lightning-USB cable w/ either charger, so not to worry.

Concerning the 'frayed' cord, I'm assuming that you have not repeatedly stress the cord - the defect may be a fault of Apple's design/materials. The MagSaf adapter cable for my MBPro 'frayed' early this year after 2+ years of normal use (i.e. the computer basically sits next to my den chair constantly plugged - the cord is not stress at all) - pic below of its appearance - I contacted Apple and the laptop was still under AppleCare, so I received a free replacement - what is you current warranty related to the frayed cord? Dave :)
image.jpg

Last edited:

evolutionhere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best thing to charge iPad or any device is either by shutting it off and charging or enabling AirPlane mode. This way the existing battery does not get drained fast and it charges faster.

Most reactions

Latest posts