What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad air 2 best setup help

najeeb_chaudhry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got new ipad air 2 ,have got an iPhone 6 plus which is linked to my apple I tunes account and icloud the memory is nearly full for icloud backup .
should I setup the ipad on the same apple account or open a new account to get the 1 gb free icloud ,
I also want to get the apps from my iPhone ,but they are all free .
What you guys recommend use the old icloud..itunes account of my iPhone 6 plus or set up a new account
Thanks

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can have separate iCloud and iTunes account on a device. Go ahead and set up the iPad with the same iTunes account. That will let you share apps for free, if you ever end up paying for any. When you go to the iCloud settings choose to create a new one instead of linking it to your current iTunes or iCloud accounts.

Personally, I never had trouble backing up both my iPhone and iPad on the same iCloud account. It didn't have a lot of room for documents (iCloud Drive), and it couldn't even begin to handle my photos collection with iCloud Photo Library, so I upgraded my iCloud storage.

But just for iCloud backups, I never had a problem; even with my iPhone 6 Plus (64 GB) and iPad Air (also 64 GB).

OP
N

najeeb_chaudhry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Icloud account for the iPhone 6 plus 64gb is almost full
If I use the same icloud iphone account for my ipad air 2 64gb it won't have any space ,
What about the pics which I shared on the I cloud ,now recently I have stopped backing on icloud as the space was low

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pictures take up space on iCloud in two instances. If they are stored locally in the Photos app then they become part of the backup, taking up space (unless you turn off Photos in your backup settings). If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on they take up space , a lot of space.

On the other hand, if you use iCloud Photo Sharing albums then none of that space is counted against your iCloud Storage limit. The downsides are that there's a limit to how many photos and albums you can have and you have to manually add photos to shared albums.

Albums synced from a computer using iTunes do not get stored in iCloud.

Before I started using iCloud Photo Library I kept my Photos library on the iPhone and iPad trimmed to the essentials. Now almost all my photos are available on the iPad and iPhone. The storage taken up on the devices isn't bad (about 3 GB) due to the Optimize iPad Storage settings, but they take up more than 20 GB in iCloud.

Anyway, yes, if you keep a lot of photos and videos in Photos on your iPad and iPhone, then the free 5 GB limit is probably too small to backup both. So if you'er not willing to pay for more iCloud storage, then a second account is the way to go.

Here's some good news. After you add the new/second iCloud account to the iPad for backups and storage, you can then go to the Mail Account settings and add your iPhone's iCloud account to get Mail, Contact, Calendar, and Notes syncing with you iPhone. Yes, you can assign two iCloud accounts to the same device, but only the first, primary one will work for backups and documents, etc. The second is just like any other email account you set up.

Turn off the email stuff in the primary iCloud account on the iPad if you don't want the extra email, calendar, etc account syncing.

OP
N

najeeb_chaudhry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you suggest same itunes and icloud account for both
Or same itunes but different icloud accounts for I pad ,and then set up the email with the primary I cloud to get everything emails ,my email mails come via Hotmail and Gmail accounts,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since you don't want to pay for extra iCloud storage (understandable), the second option. The same iTunes account, so you can share apps, music, and other iTunes content. A second iCloud account for the iPad so you can do backup on it (turn off Mail, Calendars and other duplicate stuff). Then add your first iCloud account to the Mail Account on the iPhone so your Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Notes will be available on both devices.

Here are the things that will not work with this method. Some of them you are probably not using, so won't miss.

• iCloud Drive. The content for apps using iCloud Drive will not be in sync, because you'll be using two different storage places.
  • iCloud Photo Library. Same problem as iCloud Drive. Your photo libraries will be independent, though you can manually share photos between devices using Shared Photo Albums.
  • Photo Stream
  • Safari (bookmarks will not be synced)
  • Keychain (not synced between devices)
  • Find My iPad. Will work, but you'll have to log onto the right iCloud account for the device you want to track. You won't be able to fine one device using the other, but will have to use a computer and log into icloud.com.

The only way to make all iCloud stuff work between devices is to have the same primary iCloud account, and in this case that would mean paying for more storage.

BTW, You would only need the cheapest plan of 20 GB for $0.99 a month; unless you do something crazy and store over 20 GB of photos, like I did. :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another possibility, and certainly worth checking out.

Go to Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage, and choose your device from the Backups. Go through all the apps and turn off the ones you don't need backed up. Maybe you can get the backups sizes down to the point they will both fit in 5 GB.

You can also delete the current backups. This comes in handy if you've downsized the backup and want to force a new one under Settings > iCloud > Backup.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Icloud account for the iPhone 6 plus 64gb is almost full
If I use the same icloud iphone account for my ipad air 2 64gb it won't have any space ,
What about the pics which I shared on the I cloud ,now recently I have stopped backing on icloud as the space was low

Like you my backup concerns also include the large number of photos I've accumulated sitting in the iPad's app, which is not bad now that it has a good edit facility and album management.
But for backups, if you want them free, you get some rather miserly Gigabytes that are offered around, or expensive.
One cloud facility I recently came across, and am using now is Flickr. You get 1 Tetrabyte FREE (that is 1000 Gigabytes of free storage) Sure, it shows ads, but it's good for easy searching and viewing of photos and short video clips and managing albums. It's basically a social media photo sharing service but you don't need to share anything and can just keep your photos private with no one able to access them. (Unless of course this facility, like some other major sites of late, are hacked, which seems to be an increasing phenomenon these days :()
Once you decide to back up to Flickr, registration is easy but, depending on the number of photos, the upload can take some time (mine took large chunks of two days to get them all in there) Once up there though you can designate automatic backups of any new photos; it's quick and easy.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like you my backup concerns also include the large number of photos I've accumulated sitting in the iPad's app, which is not bad now that it has a good edit facility and album management.
But for backups, if you want them free, you get some rather miserly Gigabytes that are offered around, or expensive.
One cloud facility I recently came across, and am using now is Flickr. You get 1 Tetrabyte FREE (that is 1000 Gigabytes of free storage) Sure, it shows ads, but it's good for easy searching and viewing of photos and short video clips and managing albums. It's basically a social media photo sharing service but you don't need to share anything and can just keep your photos private with no one able to access them. (Unless of course this facility, like some other major sites of late, are hacked, which seems to be an increasing phenomenon these days :()
Once you decide to back up to Flickr, registration is easy but, depending on the number of photos, the upload can take some time (mine took large chunks of two days to get them all in there) Once up there though you can designate automatic backups of any new photos; it's quick and easy.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Good advice. I wasn't thinking along those lines. I understand that Googles new Photo service also give you a lot of free storage, though some pictures may get compressed, depending on size. You can pay them for uncompressed storage.

I have Flickr, but don't use it as my main photo library, just new stuff that I like, or want to have double backed up.

funkyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One cloud facility I recently came across, and am using now is Flickr. You get 1 Tetrabyte FREE (that is 1000 Gigabytes of free storage)

As soon as I saw this post, my immediate thought was "Use Flickr for photo backup".
The fact that you get 1TB free and your phone will backup the photos automatically makes it a no brainer for me.
You can safely turn off photo backup in icloud if using this, which would save a lot of your iCloud capacity.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as I saw this post, my immediate thought was "Use Flickr for photo backup".
The fact that you get 1TB free and your phone will backup the photos automatically makes it a no brainer for me.
You can safely turn off photo backup in icloud if using this, which would save a lot of your iCloud capacity.
And Flickr (a Yahoo company) is quite a pleasant and easy app to use. Retrieval of photos is fast, you can easily "select" photos to create albums which you can name yourself or delete any photos to tidy up (not that you will be doing that to save storage space:))
And if you have the "AppleTV" iPad to TV receiver you can easy watch your created albums, say a holiday trip, on a HD TV via AirPlay on your iPad.
Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts