What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Air 2 appears to be in a loop

woodseaves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My Ipad was working fine until yesterday. It is Jailbroken. I installed BiteSMS and since then it has gone all wrong. No matter which APP I select it just opens but closes immediately. This includes the Settings App so my remedial options are nil. I have tried all the usual rebooting options but although they work they do not resolve the problem. If I power off using the on off switch and the red sliding arrow it shuts down but immediately boots again. I can connect using SSH. Does anyone know how I can reboot to factory reset using SSH? Is there a file I can access to disable the "Find your IPad" app?
I've been at it for a day now with no success, any new suggestions would help.

Regards

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've moved your post to the iPad Hacking Forum where it will receive more attention.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What iOS are you running on that ipad? I ask because if it's new enough, you should be able to put the iPad into Safe Mode/No Substrate Mode so you can get back to Cydia and uninstall biteSMS.

See, biteSMS has not been updated since iOS 7 (the developer abandoned it for iOS 8 and 9; I'm gonna say it's gone forever). It will not work and should not be installed on an iOS 8 or 9 device. So, you gotta get that thing of the iPad.

To put the iPad into No Substrate Mode, press and hold both the Sleep and Home buttons (as if you were going to hard reboot the iPad). As soon as you see the Apple logo, press and HOLD the UP volume button. I've never know how long to hold it, so I'd suggest until you see your springboard.

When you do see the springboard, it'll look all weird and such. Not to worry; in fact that's good, means you are in the No Substrate Mode.

You should now be able to open Cydia so you can uninstall biteSMS. Once you've done that, Cydia will prompt to respring or reboot. After that, your iPad should be back to normal.

Hope that helps. Holler back if you need more assistance. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
W

woodseaves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the great help you have given me. I have been able to follow your instructions. I would really like to go back to square one with this I Pad. I did a silly thing, I deleted cydia and I don't seem able to reload it. When I am in safe mode I am able to access all the apps. I keep trying to re jailbreak but although I manage to disable the access code and put it in Airplane mode as soon as it reboots it goes back to access code so once again I am in a sort of loop. I currently have Ios 9.0.1. I have tried to just update using iTunes But don't seem to be able to reach the server, the message says that the download is happening but there is nothing to back this up on the computer. Any other ideas? I have WINscp, is there any way I could use this?
Regards

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great help you have given me. I have been able to follow your instructions. I would really like to go back to square one with this I Pad. I did a silly thing, I deleted cydia and I don't seem able to reload it. When I am in safe mode I am able to access all the apps. I keep trying to re jailbreak but although I manage to disable the access code and put it in Airplane mode as soon as it reboots it goes back to access code so once again I am in a sort of loop. I currently have Ios 9.0.1. I have tried to just update using iTunes But don't seem to be able to reach the server, the message says that the download is happening but there is nothing to back this up on the computer. Any other ideas? I have WINscp, is there any way I could use this?
Regards

The only thing I can think of to try is to reinstall Cydia using WInSCP. Please note that I've never had to do this before, so I can't promise that it'll fix anything. But, maybe it's worth a try to see if you can keep your jailbreak. So, with that caveat...

You'll first want to download the latest Cydia .deb file from saurik (Jay Freeman, owner of Cydia)'s website. Here's the link:

Index of /debs/

You want the file "cydia 1.1.26" dated 21October 2015.

After you download that, go to this link and follow the directions on using WinSCP to install it on your iPad:

How to Install Cydia.deb Files Through WinSCP | eHow

Hopefully, that'll work. If not, you'll most likely have to restore the iPad to iOS 9.1, which isn't jailbreak able at the moment. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
W

woodseaves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have enjoyed trying but got this message:
/private/var/mobile$ dpkg -i /User/cydia_1.1.26_iphoneos-arm.deb
(Reading database ... 10657 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cydia 1.1.26 (using .../cydia_1.1.26_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cydia ...
dpkg: error processing /User/cydia_1.1.26_iphoneos-arm.deb (--install):
unable to create `./Applications/Cydia.app/changes.png': No such file or directory
Replaced by files in installed package cydia-lproj ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/User/cydia_1.1.26_iphoneos-arm.deb

I am logging in as Root, If I try to login as Mobile I don't have the permissions. I have had a problem with my Broadband and as a consequence my speed is pathetic so I am unable to download the restore file as it is close to 2Gig.
Any more fun things to try?

OP
W

woodseaves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again,
I have got my broadband back and up to speed so managed to restore. Thanks for all the interesting help, I can't wait for the 9.1 jailbreak.
Love the site, might just buy another ipad just to play with.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi again,
I have got my broadband back and up to speed so managed to restore. Thanks for all the interesting help, I can't wait for the 9.1 jailbreak.
Love the site, might just buy another ipad just to play with.
I'm glad you managed to get your iPad up and running again. I hope you and all other jailbreakers don't have to wait too long for an iOS 9.1 jailbreak.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, sorry we couldn't help you save your jailbreak. Here' shopping we get an iOS 9.1 (or 9.2) jailbreak soon. :)

Marilyn

OP
W

woodseaves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Amen to that. As I said I may buy a cheap IPad to play around with. I see on E Bay that there are a few IPads that are described as locked. They say that they can't get past the Apple ID stage and I note from earlier replies regarding this issue that if the apple ID is not known then it is a brick wall and pointless. Is this still the case or could a jailbreak allow you in? One in particular is described as an IPad 2 16GB for £45 should I buy it or will I be landed with an IPad that I can't do a thing with. Your opinion would be appreciated..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Amen to that. As I said I may buy a cheap IPad to play around with. I see on E Bay that there are a few IPads that are described as locked. They say that they can't get past the Apple ID stage and I note from earlier replies regarding this issue that if the apple ID is not known then it is a brick wall and pointless. Is this still the case or could a jailbreak allow you in? One in particular is described as an IPad 2 16GB for £45 should I buy it or will I be landed with an IPad that I can't do a thing with. Your opinion would be appreciated..
Don't ever buy any iPad or other device that is locked like that. It is called iCloud Activation Lock and is intended by Apple as deterrent to thieves. An activation locked device cannot be activated without the Apple ID and password of the original owner. There is no way to bypass this requirement, even with a jailbreak. Besides, you can't jailbreak a locked device.

Last edited:
OP
W

woodseaves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this malware do you think?

How to Unlock iCloud Activation Lock

First is need to Download the hack tool on your pc. Go on Download Button below and get this software. We give this for free, not is need to pay.

Administrator edit: Removed questionable links.

Step 1. Download and Unzip the file on your PC.
Step 2. Start this hack tool on your PC. Connect your iPhone via USB cable.
Step 3. Then click on Start button to process bypass icloud lock service.
Step 4. Wait five min to be complete this process. When will be done click OK.
The finaly process is when this will be complete to install the latest versizon on iTunes on your PC. Then make Restore Update on your device and icloud lock will be permanent removed from your apple device. This is official factory unlock on iCloud lock directly from Apple Database Servers.

Many services in the world talk for this on net, but be careful, many of them is scam. We this service give you for free, and not like to give money to us. Only Download this hack tool and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@woodeaves:

I removed the link because if it's not malware, it's a scam. There is NO way to get into an iCloud activated/locked device, despite what people on the Internet say.

As Brian says: unless you buy for parts, there's no sense in buying iCloud activated iDevices.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts