What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air 1: flickering horizontal black lines and constant rebooting

kazongaaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

I grabbed an iPad Air 1 WiFi on the bay a month ago for my mother, so she could get a start into the tablet world. I did an update today on iOS 12.3.1 and got into trouble.
After the update package was downloaded, the iPad rebooted as part of the process. Suddenly, the white apple logo was swamped with fast flickering black horizontal lines, and the update came to a halt. Afterwards, the device rebooted itself repeatedly until the update was successfully completed.
The device will now remain usable for at most one minute, after which numerous horizontal black lines appear, flickering wildly all across the screen, the device gets unresponsive and reboots after about 15 seconds.
Sometimes that happens even when I hard reboot it. Then the thing will hang completely in the reboot process.
I have reset the device to factory settings - no change.
I have to say in advance that the glass already had a crack.
Also, my mother reportes to have seen spontaneous reboots before the update. So it may be that these problems were there before the update and now just happen more frequently.
I am familiar in replacing digitizers and displays. But if the motherboard is shot, I'll just waste money.

Could anyone give me some advice on where to find the cause of this unstable behavior?

Many thanks in advance!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do the horizontal flickering lines remain in the same orientation when you rotate the iPad from portrait to horizontal mode?

Most reactions

Latest posts