iPad A1395 Battery Replacement Questions PLEASE

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Leaky88, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Leaky88

Leaky88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    scifan57,
    Will do. Thanks.
    Leaky

2. Leaky88

Leaky88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Had to put on hold for a couple of days due to illness. I just completed Step 1 in re-assembly and have the new battery in place.

I have another question. During disassembly, specifically Step 39, I gingerly tried forever to remove the speaker cable connector straight up from its socket. While doing so the entire socket/connector came up to my disappointment. All that left on the logic board are 4 solder points, and I don't have a quality solder station to reattach it.
    Not that I want to, but will the iPad still function without the speaker?

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll not hear any sound from any videos or music, nor will you hear any alerts or notifications. While the iPad will still work to a degree, it's functionality will be severely degraded.

#13 scifan57, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. Leaky88

Leaky88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Understand and thanks for feedback.
    Really upsets me. Knowing how fragile these boards are, I danced around it for the longest. While I believe the socket could be reattached, I am concerned about heat and damage to other components. I have looked at the socket/speaker combination at least 10 times under a lighted magnifying glass and do not see how the connector detaches from the socket. Granted, my 63 YO eyes are not what they use to be. Guess this is one of the "traps" Brian warned of. As much as I would hate to do it, do Phone Repair shops rework boards?
    Thanks.
    Leaky

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Board level repairs are possible but the cost would be more than an iPad 2 is worth. Maybe it’s time to consider upgrading to a newer iPad.

6. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    It’s totally repairable and is a common trap. If you’re not experienced at soldering I don’t advise starting with this repair. Check your local repair shops to see if they can do it. You may be looking at about $25 to $50 for the repair.

7. Leaky88

Leaky88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Brain,
    Thanks. I don't know what the secret is to removing it. I studied and looked at it for the forever. Really is a sick feeling to see complete assembly vice just the connector. Leaky

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The instructions in step 37 say to pull the connector very carefully straight up. Maybe you inadvertently used an angled pull which pulled the entire socket from the logic board.

9. Leaky88

Leaky88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Maybe. I cannot even see how it separates now that it's out.

10. Leaky88

Leaky88
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Brian, It gets better. I got the socket free of the speaker plug but damaged it. I got it second hand because of a broken screen - the second one, I was told. I am not above a mistake, but the socket looked like it was distorted and it took a lot of effort to free socket from plug. Do you happen to have a part source for a single replacement socket? I realize almost everything is sold in sub-assemblies, but thought I would ask. Having worked Micro-miniature repair "years" ago, I'm certain a socket could be reattached to the board in correct setting. I know, it would be easier to quit, but if I do, it wins.