iPad-4 will it get more slimmer ?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by augustya, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I seem to recall that there was a significant increase in screen breakage between the original and the iPad 2 due to reductions in the shell thickness. Much less than competitors, but part of a trade-off. They have actually increased the thickness very slightly on the new iPad as I understand it. The weight is nothing compared to the value of the product.

2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lol. I cross-train -- use devices of different weights. iPhone, touch, Samsung Galaxy Note, Kindle Fire, iPad 1 and 2. I'm ready for the gadget Olympics!

3. beesknees

beesknees
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and true story about the weight increase... It took my wife and I 4 days to realize the 3 was heavier and it happened when I was holding one in each hand. I hadn't realized the 3 was thicker until today when I read an article about it.

This is why it is safe for me to buy these while ill-advised for you. If you did buy one you will go looking for problems and probably find ones that bother practically no one else. You have convinced yourself it is heavy so you will always be uncomfortable holding one.

4. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    On the treadmill now trying to work off 55 grams. Dang didn't even make it to the end of the sentence and I was done already. ;)

5. augustya

augustya
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    People....People why a genuine requirement is often misunderstood as being negatively judgemental !

#75 augustya, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. PolkSDA

PolkSDA
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I really don't get the complaints about the weight of the new iPad. Really? Maybe it's because I skipped gen 2 and went from 1 to 3, but just how light and thin does one expect a 9-inch device to be?

Either that or there's some device usage pattern that I'm unaware of whereby users are busy flailing their arms about whilst holding the iPad, thus producing wrist strain...

7. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's simply that people don't understand how shaving 1.8 ounces (51 grams) can seriously be viewed as a genuine requirement.

However, for better or worse, the rules of the forum dictate that you have the right to your opinions and the right to post them. You also have the right to be protected from abuse by other members, even if they consider that your complaints about the weight of a device which you do not even own are nothing more than a troll post.

So although there is nothing wrong with a bit of good-natured ribbing, let's see if we can steer a path through this minefield?

8. beesknees

beesknees
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That is the thing. I don't recall anyone complaining. The OP doesn't even own one and has no experience with this technology so mostly this is an exercise in silliness. I am not sure the OP is doing it intentionally but this has most of the earmarks of trolling.

In any event we have certainly explored the saying of making a mountain out of a 50ish gram mole hill.

9. augustya

augustya
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Troll ?? U ain't serious right ?

10. beesknees

beesknees
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Probably my fault. Sorry.

However I was being sincere in my advise for the OP not to buy one. The ipad is great but all technology requires a certain level of compromise.

I, also, had a notion that I don't recall anyone else stating what the grams were in ounces so maybe the OP was confused and thought it was more weight than it really was.

Anyway it is a tablet not a Kindle. My ipad 2 with a leather smart cover is heavier than the first gen with no cover which is how I often used it around the house. It'd be nice if they could put a serious dent in weight but I'd rather have the battery life because I can use it for hours and hours quite comfortably.