What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad-4 will it get more slimmer ?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smarties are diff candy in the U.S. and UK (and other places that get UK foods).

The U.S. Smarties are rolls of circular candy that are like Pez, only softer. The UK Smarties are like M&Ms. I find the Cantonese-translated name for UK Smarties (also sold in Hong Kong, in tubes) funny; they're translated as "Intelligence Beans."

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Smarties are diff candy in the U.S. and UK (and other places that get UK foods).

The U.S. Smarties are rolls of circular candy that are like Pez, only softer. The UK Smarties are like M&Ms. I find the Cantonese-translated name for UK Smarties (also sold in Hong Kong, in tubes) funny; they're translated as "Intelligence Beans."

Looks like everyBody has got on to work ;) let's draw conclusion from this, what he was trying to say was the new iPad is marginally heavier than iPad-2 :p

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like everyBody has got on to work ;) let's draw conclusion from this, what he was trying to say was the new iPad is marginally heavier than iPad-2 :p

The weight diff was specified by Apple. Perception depends on the person, though. I can feel the diff between my iPad 1 and 2, for instance, but it's not a big deal to me. For some, it might be.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As with anything there is always compromises.

From my understanding It's really not so much the batteries that made it thicker but the screen. The act of elevating the pixels off the platform to eliminate the pixel bleed is what made it slightly thicker. What they have not quite fessed up to, is all prior screens had pixel bleed in them. Yes the iPad 2 screen has pixel bleed, look real close. Because of pixel bleed, doubling the amount of pixels wasn't going to be a noticeable change in definition to the human eye. The act of raising up the pixels to eliminate the pixel bleed increased the thickness of the display screen. Thus increasing the thickness of the whole device, slightly. Increased battery size to compensate for the power-hungry processor and display didn't mean the batteries had to be thicker they can simply be wider.

The increased weight was due to the increased size of the batteries. Can you imagine the cries from people if they kept the batteries the same size and lost battery life?

I can't believe people are griping about an increased thickness of a .6 millimeter or 0.0236 inches and an increased weight of 51 grams or 1.79 ounces. Some people take being a nerd to the extreme. Get a gym membership if it's too freaking heavy and it hurts to hold it too long.

I'm glad I'm enjoying this new display now and not having to wait another year to shave off .6 mm or 1.79 ounces. Unbelievable what people worry about.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The weight diff was specified by Apple. Perception depends on the person, though. I can feel the diff between my iPad 1 and 2, for instance, but it's not a big deal to me. For some, it might be.

The thing is...if apple didn't publish the info, fewer people would claim the notice the differences. I bet most people, in a double blind test, could like look at the two separately and determine which weighs more...and they would have to examine them carefully to detect the increase thickness. But once you admit that is heavier and thicker, people will notice it no matter what...and have something else to complain about.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
The thing is...if apple didn't publish the info, fewer people would claim the notice the differences. I bet most people, in a double blind test, could like look at the two separately and determine which weighs more...and they would have to examine them carefully to detect the increase thickness. But once you admit that is heavier and thicker, people will notice it no matter what...and have something else to complain about.

OMG! Can you imagine the conspiracy theories that they would have had, if they did not publish it? The unpublished heat specifications already have everybody running around screaming my hands are burning off!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Maybe. I use my iPad 1 and 2 interchangeably, so I notice the weight when switching from one to the other. For me, the thickness of any iPad isn't any issue, either.

I'd like the iPad to lose weight, but a few ounces aren't going to be a deal breaker.

For me, buying hinges on whether new models solve what I see as problems or limitations.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OMG! Can you imagine the conspiracy theories that they would have had, if the did not publish it? The unpublished heat specifications already have everybody running around screaming my hands are burning off!

:)

Believe it or not, though, that one is a little bit more understandable to me. I never saw my iPad 2 get warm. So when the 3 gets warm, people notice that's a difference, then they blow it all out of proportion. But they were spoiled in the first place....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recognize that when Apple decides to go into full production, they essentially pay the contractor for the assembly line construction. Once they committed to the current design, they probably are looking at a two year minimum usage of those assembly lines. This means they will keep the screen for the next year. The IGZO screen may get used for the next iPhone or iPod Touch. Expect next year the big thing will likely be 128Gb SSD availability.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
:)

Believe it or not, though, that one is a little bit more understandable to me. I never saw my iPad 2 get warm. So when the 3 gets warm, people notice that's a difference, then they blow it all out of proportion. But they were spoiled in the first place....

I know it's warmer but from all reports that I've seen on comparison tests it's on average only about 4° warmer then the iPad 2. And yet some people are complaining it's burning their hands!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recognize that when Apple decides to go into full production, they essentially pay the contractor for the assembly line construction. Once they committed to the current design, they probably are looking at a two year minimum usage of those assembly lines. This means they will keep the screen for the next year. The IGZO screen may get used for the next iPhone or iPod Touch. Expect next year the big thing will likely be 128Gb SSD availability.

It sounds more like Apple can change whatever it wants, when it feels like:

NYTimes: Why Apple builds its products in China | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know it's warmer but from all reports that I've seen on comparison tests it's on average only about 4° warmer then the iPad 2. And yet some people are complaining it's burning their hands!

Right! I was watching a review today by an experienced reviewer. She was playing a game on the new iPad...and she noticed the heat...which she said was about 94 deg F...and she was making out as if that was going to mess her up! I measured the temps on mine with the screen on full brightness for 36minutes...and it got up to 111 deg F..but was only a bit warm to the touch. It was not about the set the house on fire. People just seem to notice the differences more and highlight them even though they may be minor in the grand scheme. Probably human nature.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah it's hard to believe that people are screaming about 12° over body temperature is outrageous. If you're watching in landscape mode just flip it around so the batteries are on top and you won't feel it.

Last edited:
OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Was looking forward to your comment :eek: Glad you chipped in ! For a moment it came even to my mind as well, after investing in the Retina Display of iPad and at such a massive level would Apple abandon it so easily. But the only turn off for Apple Customers worldwide would be if they were to not include Retina Display in iPad-4 but that ain't gonna happen !! So even if it is a Retina Display achieved by using IGZO Why do you think they would not adopt it ? That will make the iPad much much slimmer from what I know...

By the way what is SSD ?

Most reactions

Latest posts