What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 4 to HDMI via IPAD 3 HDMI Cable and lightning connector

jules1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I need some help please.

I am a novice iPad 4 user. Previously iPod 4 owner... Love it anyway.

Have my iPad 4 a HDMI cable with old connector for iPad 1, 2, & 3 and a lightning connector.

Want to put iPad 4 to my tv, plug it all in and iPad won't register connection.

Is this combination of cables and connectors ok?

Or do I need to buy a proper HDMI cable for iPad 4 ?

Thanks
Juliet

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I need some help please.

I am a novice iPad 4 user. Previously iPod 4 owner... Love it anyway.

Have my iPad 4 a HDMI cable with old connector for iPad 1, 2, & 3 and a lightning connector.

Want to put iPad 4 to my tv, plug it all in and iPad won't register connection.

Is this combination of cables and connectors ok?

Or do I need to buy a proper HDMI cable for iPad 4 ?

Thanks
Juliet

Hi, jules1981! Welcome to iPF!

To connect your iPad 4 to the TV, you need a HDMI cable and this adapter:

image-3935518111.jpg

image-1538434183.jpg

Apple Store

OP
J

jules1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks I thought apple had released the connector so users could use their older apple cables with ipad 4, iPhone 5 etc

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Juliet - welcome to the forum! :)

I'm not sure what connectors you own or are trying to combine to achieve a connection of your new iPad - as already posted an HDMI to Lightening cable is needed for your purposes; SO, are you trying to get an older 30 pin HDMI cable (which I own for my iPad 2) to connect to your newer iPad & your HDTV? If so, you need to obtain an adapter to 'bridge' these two different Apple standards (as shown below) - probably easier (and the same cost) for you to just get the appropriate adapter already shown by Johanna​ - let us know if this explains your situation? In not, post back - good luck!

30pin_lightening_adapter.jpg

OP
J

jules1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I am trying to do. Older 30 pin ipad HDMI cable with the connector u have shown in the photo.

I connected everything up and tv and iPad don't register.

image-132721989.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I recall correctly (I don't have time to recheck right now), that 30pin to lightning connector cannot be used for video. It can be used for other things, but not video. You need the lightning to HDMI cable as suggested already. You can confirm what I'm saying about the 30pin to lightning connector on Apple's website.

Bostongio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this connector works readily with all those iHome clock radios? I have a few...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this connector works readily with all those iHome clock radios? I have a few...

There's no reason why the 30 pin to lightning adaptor wouldn't work. The drawback is that the phone won't be settled in the docking cradle, but perched atop the adaptor.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I recall correctly (I don't have time to recheck right now), that 30pin to lightning connector cannot be used for video. It can be used for other things, but not video. You need the lightning to HDMI cable as suggested already. You can confirm what I'm saying about the 30pin to lightning connector on Apple's website.

Well, the above made me curious, so just checked the Apple store and looked at the adapter under question - indeed, it is not compatible for video, just audio & other purposes (see quote below). The other issue concerning these compatibilities is that many of the third party offerings (especially the 'cheap' ones) seem not to always work for those purposes - can't say myself based on experience, but in checking some of the Amazon Comments HERE, I would be wary - :)

This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Supports analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's no reason why the 30 pin to lightning adaptor wouldn't work. The drawback is that the phone won't be settled in the docking cradle, but perched atop the adaptor.

As in my previous post w/ the quote from the Apple store about the adapter under question, audio is supported; but, I agree about the lack of support - own the Sangean radio below which docks my old iPod w/ great support, however, if I wanted a new iPod, the 30 pin adapter w/ the much smaller lightening connector would just be risky (if not impossible) to use for that purpose. Now, I would not get a new radio but simply use a stereo mini input of the new iPod, BUT then I would lose the charging feature - no easy solution. Fortunately, my iPod is just my MP3 player now - all of the other apps that used on it are available on my iPad.

51P1yRTmcXL.jpg

Most reactions