What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 - recommended video resolution?

artie18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I'm really getting annoyed by these black bars (letterboxing the video), 1080p and 720p mainly.
So i decided to do something with it. I've read some stuff i found, mainly another forum sources, which said that iTunes won't let me transfer higher res. than 1920x1080.
Do any of you have a solution? I thought about dividing iPads 4 resolution by 2, so 1024x768. It keeps the 4:3 ratio needed to go fullscreen without letterbox. But I'm really scared of video quality in the end.

I'd be grateful for any kind of help you can offer.

(I'm from Czech, my English may not be very good.)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't understand your question. You want more than 1080p? Kinda hard to do since few movies come in a resolution higher than that.

Letterboxing is normal. There is usually a little button on the video that will zoom the video up to fill the screen, but you either lose parts of the movie frame or it gets stretched which will make people look tall and skinny. If you care about seeing the movie the way it was meant to be viewed, you'll leave the blackbars at the top and bottom and just sit closer.

There are other video player apps available so you don't need iTunes to transfer video files.

OP
A

artie18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be higher than 1080p.
For example i have a movie originally 1920x1080, but i want it to fill the iPad screen completely, without letterboxing. I have plenty of video converters to change the resolution (Handbrake, AVS Video Converter, Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate).
I'm simply asking, if there's any resolution, approx. the same as 1920x1080 to fill up the whole screen, without letterboxing...

Which other apps than iTunes?

D

dvdcatalyst

When you are playing a video on the iPad 4 using the build-in video player app, look for the zoom button. It looks like a rectangle with 2 arrows in it. Tap on that, and it will make the video fill-screen.
However, if your original video has black borders (older wide-screen DVD ones) that are part of the video and are not removed/cropped off during your ripping/conversion, the video player will see those as part of the video, and as a result, they will remain regardless.

This article on my website explains a bit more on this:

https://www.tools4movies.com/black-borders/

OP
A

artie18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Really? But won't be edges of the video missing? Like this:
(ignore the second part of the video)

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Really? But won't be edges of the video missing? Like this:
(ignore the second part of the video)

Yes. Of course the edges will be missing. The only other option to convert an HD movie to fit the iPad's screen would be to stretch it. Then everyone looks like skinny aliens. If you don't want the letterboxes on an HD movie then you're going lose or distort something.

The only way to get around this is to purchase a standard version of the movie to begin with; where hopefully they took the time to pick optimal portions of the HD movie to display. Though I suspect that most of the time they just clip it, like the iPad will.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

artie18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I knew it'll come up to this. That's what this thread is about.
For example i have a movie originally 1920x1080, but i want it to fill the iPad screen completely, without letterboxing. I have plenty of video converters to change the resolution (Handbrake, AVS Video Converter, Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate).
I'm simply asking, if there's any resolution, approx. the same as 1920x1080 to fill up the whole screen, without letterboxing...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad has an aspect ratio of 4:3 which means its impossible to get an anamorphic widescreen image to fill the screen without losing some of the image or having bars on the top and bottom. I don't find it distracting and always prefer to watch films as they were originally presented but I can see how it will bother some people.

Most reactions