iPad 4 not working

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Thesavagebeast-2017, Apr 26, 2017.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, Brian can provide a better answer from experience, but many items can be 'fixed' on iPads and even as a DIY job, if willing (and 'lucky' from my reading); as an example, your iPad Mini 2 battery can certainly be replaced - checkout the iFixit Website (pic below from the link) - looks quite difficult to me. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 2.34.23 PM.png

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    iPad screens are glued to the case with a very strong adhesive and even experts sometimes break the screen trying to get it off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I guess that is good to know but I would never attempt that myself it looks really hard. Any how mine is still healthy yet since I just got it at the start of the year.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Thomas - LOL! ;) I've looked at iFixit guides for a while but agree would never want to try a fix on my own, plus I'm a pretty good amateur woodworker w/ a rather decent basement shop, and could give it a try if I had the patience.

If you went to that link, the first 30 steps/pics are just getting the glued on screen off (as mentioned by SciFan..) using little 'sandbags' heated in a MW oven, a suction cup, and multiple thin plastic picks - one of the first pics shown below - no thanks - Brian will likely 'chime in' w/ his comments. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 6.07.34 PM.png

5. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Getting a screen off is not for the faint of heart. Lots of adhesive involved and removal requires heat and patience. My secret weapon is a $20 toaster oven. I place the iPad in at 70 degrees Celsius for 8-10 minutes and then use about 6 guitar picks to break the seal. Batteries are even harder to remove due to the adhesive and there is a high risk of puncturing the battery during removal. If you puncture the old battery it could catch fire or explode.
    However the point I want or make is that the battery is often not the issue. It's usually a charge port or power circuit on the logic board. Keep in mind that there are literally millions of iPad 2s out there with 6 year old batteries that still hold a charge relatively fine.

6. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Judging by how the iPad is made I'm guessing Apple does not want you to do this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1