What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 4 not charging when in use

PrinceKiss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum. Just wondering if anybody is experiencing something similar. My ipad 4 looses power when in use even when plugged in to the main. It's never happen to my old ipad 2 and does not happen to my iPhone either. Any thought or suggestion? Tanx

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Retina Display is very hungry, particularly when set to higher levels of brightness. It's easily possible that you are drawing power faster than your charger can supply it. For the fastest charge turn your display off as well as any apps that draw power such as GPS, and charge overnight. You can't overcharge. When the iPad has had enough if will stop drawing power.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

xTyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's Not Good.

Personally I've never experienced that type of bug before.
The device does pack-a-mean-punch and it does have apps running and GPS,
So maybe that's why it's draining battery while its charging. Just for a while keep the GPS off
And close applications if your not using them and see if you encounter that problem if you do
That's when I suggest you call Apple or a company that repairs the Free of for cheap.

xTyler

OP
P

PrinceKiss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything is turned off. I am only surfing that is and it's very very hot as well even whilst in the case.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I find that charging my iPad 2 only just keeps up when I'm using it in my truck. I use MotionX GPS HD, and keep the screen on nearly maximum brightness. I'm not above having music blasting out either, although I find that Music is very light on battery use on it's own.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
PrinceKiss said:
Everything is turned off. I am only surfing that is and it's very very hot as well even whilst in the case.

Could be a duff battery. If it gets that hot, and you're sure the battery consumption is abnormal, you should probably take it in to the Apple Store. Do a backup first, as they may exchange it on the spot. Then you can set up a new one from the backup, and won't have to go through the tedium of setting up from scratch.

Sieges

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think display is eating the battery. Just decrease the brightness and turnoff the wifi when you are not using it.

Most reactions

Latest posts