What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 JailBreak and iCloud Bypass Help

iAnaconda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Hope you all had a great Christmas and hopefully an awesome new year.

Can anyone help me with this. Mi son got me a used iPad 4 for Christmas with his first job. Great right?!?! Well... he got it from CRAIGSLIST. (That's the bad news!!!) So now that we have been trying to restore it with iTunes I can't bypass the previous owners iCloud to get started. I just read that its very possible that we are S.O.L. We have been trying to get a hold of the seller from craigslist with NO luck! Does anyone have any ideas? Did my son just get ripped off?

Thanks

OP
I

iAnaconda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh well!!! I guess its time for another father and son heart to heart talk. LOL

Thanks Brian

mickgonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may try emailing the original owner & ask him to unlock it, or if you can get a copy of original receipt Apple will unlock it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may try emailing the original owner & ask him to unlock it, or if you can get a copy of original receipt Apple will unlock it.
Not unless you're the original owner presenting the original sales receipt.

mickgonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went and got a duplicate receipt from BestBuy for my brother in Arizona, walked into the Apple Store at Polaris without him and they unlocked it asap, no questions asked. Maybe they assumed I was the original owner but I wasn't.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the very first time I hear that. We've seen people more than once, telling us that Apple didn't unlock an iDevice locked to iCloud, because the original billing wasn't available, even if the owner himself was locked out by iCloud.

mickgonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think if you walk in with a receipt for the device, duplicate, original or otherwise they just assume you are the owner. The Apple Genius literally unlocked the iPad within a couple of minutes using his hand held computer sales device. What he did not do was unlock the Apple ID associated with the device. We could not use that Apple ID, that remained locked. I created another Apple ID for my brother in Arizona and sent him the old iPad 2 fully functioning with a new Apple ID. There is obviously a difference between a locked iDevice and a locked Apple ID, which is the cause of the former. But the hardware can be separated from the Apple ID with a genuine receipt (duplicate or original) no questions asked by Apple. But the Apple ID cannot be unlocked unless you answer the security questions or have a valid reset e-mail. We lost the Apple ID, which was no big deal to us. The hardware is where the value lies, and with that unlocked we just associated it with a new Apple ID and he is still using his iPad to this day.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where does he use that Apple ID: in iTunes & App Store, or in iCloud?

mickgonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's the same ID for all three. You can create a unique ID for each one but most people don't that would be confusing. I use one Apple ID for simplicity sake for iTunes, App Store and my iCloud. But there is nothing stopping me from creating multiple Apple ID's and alternating them. The limitation being that whatever is purchased app, songs, etc.... with one Apple ID is tied to that specific ID and won't be available to my other ID's when I sign into or out of the same iDevice. In my brother's case, he lost everything, which wasn't much, to whatever was tied to his original Apple ID. But since the iPad was worth more than whatever was tied to that Apple ID, he did not care.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use two IDs on one device at the same time. App Store and iTunes Store use the same ID. It's possible to switch between Apple IDs for iTunes and App Store, and keep apps, music, ... on your device. When an app needs an update, it will ask for the IDs password with which it was purchased.

mickgonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, that's a hassle but I've seen people do that, and it becomes more of an issue when you go sync or backup your iDevice with iTunes.

mickgonzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What your son probably should've done before handing over the cash for the iPad was go to Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Settings & Content. If the iPad continued with a clean reset he could've been on his way, everything is okay. If it did not, it would've asked for the previous owners Apple ID at that time, as a warning sign that the Find My IPhone security feature was enabled. Without that feature being disabled he should've kept his money and walked away. If the seller couldn't disable that feature on the spot, it was probably stolen.

Most reactions

Latest posts