What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 from Verizon - CDMA?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad 4 from Verizon so it would have LTE connectivity. Is my iPad 4 a CDMA model?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you also get lte from the apple store?
LTE is a new faster data service for cellular devices. It's offered by cellular carriers and is included in the service provided by your cellular carrier, where available.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know everyone's answered your question, but I wanted to chime in myself. LTE is the network bandwidth that allows cellular costumers to surf at a higher rate of speed. CDMA/GSM are types of broadcast signals used by cellular carriers. Every cellphone in America uses one of these two transmission protocols to transmit wirelessly to the cellular towers.

So as I understand it:

Types of Internet transmissions for Cellular Networks
3G - Third Generation Network. Allowed people to start using their cellphones for video transmission and made networks faster. Usually 1.0 Mbs or a little higher depending on traffic on the network and signal strength.
LTE - Newest Generation of network. Usually marketed as 4G LTE, this is more of a transitional network between 3G and 4G until 4G can be perfected. Speeds are still dependent on signal strength and number of users on the network.
4G - Forth Generation Network. (I've also heard this called LTE Advanced.) Will be capable of providing up to 100Mbs speeds with a strong signal and limited numbers of users. Not available yet, but they are working on it.

Companies that use GSM and CDMA
CDMA - Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS, and US Cellular
GSM - T-Mobile and AT&T

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to get that out there. Hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes.

Most reactions

Latest posts