What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 File transfer (Photos / Music) Options Without Using iTunes (iMac to iPad)

CK1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[h=2][/h]
Longtime user of Apple products (iPod, iMac). Recently purchased new iPad, but am having a difficult time trying to figure out the best way (if there is one) to transfer files from my iMac to the iPad using the provided USB cable. I was going to go the iTunes route, but my iMac will not support the most recent version of iTunes 10.7 (i.e. Apple requires update of OS first, which costs $20 -40 if i want to have support with most recent Mt. Lion OS). Should not have to pay Apple another $40 after spending 600+ on iPad, kind of a principle thing here. Additionally, not really happy with past iTunes experiences. What programs are available to transfer and manage photos / music files on the iPad? Is there a way to use Migration Assistant on Mac or are there other options that i can use (Mac or apps) instead for direct transfer, as i do not want to use programs like Dropbox or other services where i store my files on there sites and have to pay to access. Just want to be able to transfer my photos and music already on my iMac and view / listen on iPad. Thought of using Camera kit, but reviews have been less then stellar with issues like "accessory requires to much power". Already having other issues with lightning cable, so don't want to push my luck with this item until fixed. This should be much easier. Apple products use to be very easy to use, getting frustrated with limitations and being forced to use Apple programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.​

OP
C

CK1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but doesn't support the current Mac OS I'm running. So same issue as with iTunes. Found app called Simple Transfer which seems to work for transferring photos, but does not appear like free version allows more than one image at a time through. Any other options for photos / music files?

Last edited:

latazza108

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but doesn't support the current Mac OS I'm running. So same issue as with iTunes. Found app called Simple Transfer which seems to work for transferring photos, but does not appear like free version allows more than one image at a time through. Any other options for photos / music files?

i AGREE with YOU 100%!! i have oodles of Apple computers, etc. (FROM the original Macintosh!!) and now have an iPad4, like over5 $400 right? but what Apple wants me to pay for this and that? like even G-band, etc. $5 each. come on!
(guess that's why they have so much $$ now... AND the cheap chinese labor.) WE r the people who've supported them when they WERE LOSING $$$$.

NOW, after that vent, let's hope we avid Mac users figure out a way to play the music we own on our computers from the ipad, etc.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For photos/videos try Photo Transfer App (iPad app). It will create a web page that the Mac can access and download/upload photos and videos to/from the iPad. Really easy and straight forward to use.

Most reactions

Latest posts