What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 4 battery won't stay charged

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't have any trouble when new. Now even when I have it plugged in you can watch the battery percentage go down to the point it shuts off. Then if I plug it in overnight it still only charges to 70 -80 percent. I've looked in settings to see if there's an app running that could be depleting it but no luck. Help please!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different USB cable and/or charger (ones that are specifically for the iPad)? Apologies for asking, but - you ARE charging using main electrical power, not a computer or laptop? The iPad is not designed to charge from those, only a wall/mains outlet (it draws too much power).

If a new cord/charger doesn't help, may I suggest you take it in to an Apple store? As its a new iPad 4, I'm sure it's still under the warranty. Let the Geniuses there try to figure out what's wrong - you may very well have something wrong with it that only they can help with or fix.

Sorry to not be of better assistance. Good luck.

Marilyn

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't have any trouble when new. Now even when I have it plugged in you can watch the battery percentage go down to the point it shuts off. Then if I plug it in overnight it still only charges to 70 -80 percent. I've looked in settings to see if there's an app running that could be depleting it but no luck. Help please!

Hello tessk and welcome to the forum.
That is not sounding normal for an iPad4 with a relatively new battery.
Check out what Apple has to say about the battery before you look at things further.
http://www.apple.com/au/batteries/ipad.html
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
Presumably your iPad is still under its 12 month warranty, so you may be able to take it into your nearest genius bar for advice.
Regards, Andrew

OP
tessk

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for the responses, I will try using direct connection. I have my chargers on extension cords so I can be on it while hubby falls asleep & I lay awake for hours! I do notice the plug into the extension cord gets extremely hot, as my iPad also does when I've been on it awhile. I used to get the extra chargers online but read if they aren't Apple & come from hCina they can have trojan viruses that access all your information. Doesn't say there's a fix for it. I threw several away! Thanks again for all responses!!!

OP
tessk

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a different USB cable and/or charger (ones that are specifically for the iPad)? Apologies for asking, but - you ARE charging using main electrical power, not a computer or laptop? The iPad is not designed to charge from those, only a wall/mains outlet (it draws too much power).

If a new cord/charger doesn't help, may I suggest you take it in to an Apple store? As its a new iPad 4, I'm sure it's still under the warranty. Let the Geniuses there try to figure out what's wrong - you may very well have something wrong with it that only they can help with or fix.

Sorry to not be of better assistance. Good luck.

Marilyn

Thanks for the responses, I will try using direct connection. I have my chargers on extension cords so I can be on it while hubby falls asleep & I lay awake for hours! I do notice the plug into the extension cord gets extremely hot, as my iPad also does when I've been on it awhile. I used to get the extra chargers online but read if they aren't Apple & come from hCina they can have trojan viruses that access all your information. Doesn't say there's a fix for it. I threw several away! Thanks again for all responses!!!

OP
tessk

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello tessk and welcome to the forum.
That is not sounding normal for an iPad4 with a relatively new battery.
Check out what Apple has to say about the battery before you look at things further.
http://www.apple.com/au/batteries/ipad.html
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
Presumably your iPad is still under its 12 month warranty, so you may be able to take it into your nearest genius bar for advice.
Regards, Andrew

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Tessk - first, are you using the 'official' charger that came w/ your iPad? Many of these 3rd party chargers simply do not work well nor have the more sophisticated technology built into the Apple product. Second, an extension cord should work w/ the charger unless it is damaged, BUT I would try to charge the iPad w/ just the charger that came w/ the device (i.e. sans extension cord). If the iPad still is not charging, as already suggested try another charger; and if still a problem, a visit to an Apple store may be in order.

Finally, malware (e.g. viruses, trojans, etc.) cannot be contained w/i a charger or passed on to the iPad (indeed, viruses & Trojans do not exist in the wild that will 'infect' an iDevice). Good luck and let us know your results - Dave :)

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I think she's using a 3rd party charger or maybe a hardware problem because even if she tries to charge her Ipad, it still shuts down.

OP
tessk

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tessk - first, are you using the 'official' charger that came w/ your iPad? Many of these 3rd party chargers simply do not work well nor have the more sophisticated technology built into the Apple product. Second, an extension cord should work w/ the charger unless it is damaged, BUT I would try to charge the iPad w/ just the charger that came w/ the device (i.e. sans extension cord). If the iPad still is not charging, as already suggested try another charger; and if still a problem, a visit to an Apple store may be in order.

Finally, malware (e.g. viruses, trojans, etc.) cannot be contained w/i a charger or passed on to the iPad (indeed, viruses & Trojans do not exist in the wild that will 'infect' an iDevice). Good luck and let us know your results - Dave :)

Honestly, I've bought several charger cords off the internet so after these wonderful posts I'm trying to locate all of them & trash them, having a hard time telling which is which? I also went in & turned off alerts on a couple of apps hoping that will save my battery juice. Glad to know it works OK with good extension cord. I finally got up to a 100% charge, but after doing email & FB I'm on 75% with it still plugged in. Thanks!!!

OP
tessk

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I think she's using a 3rd party charger or maybe a hardware problem because even if she tries to charge her Ipad, it still shuts down.

Thanks for your input, I'm checking into the 3rd party charger!!!

OP
tessk

tessk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad 4 battery problem fixed!!!!

iPad 4 seems to be back to normal. I went through all my settings & notifications turning a lot of apps to "off." There must have been one (or more) that was staying on draining the battery. I have a feeling the "Score," was the main culprit. Thanks to all who responded....

Most reactions

Latest posts