What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 4.2.1 redsn0w jb, won't boot

ultimagun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i recently jailbroken my ipad 4.2.1 using redsn0w. However, when I went out today, it ran out of battery, so i charged it when i reached home.

It is now stuck with the apple logo, and won't boot up. I know i must use redsn0w to boot it, but i can't off the ipad for it to enter DFU mode. I tried using the home/lock button 10 sec, but it resets the ipad rather than turning it off.

Can anyone please help get my ipad back up and running please?

Thanks.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I didn't have it happen due to a battery drain, I did accidently boot my jb iPad and was stuck in the same place.

I tried everything and was nearly ready to do a complete restore when I finally got it.

I'm not sure what I did but I think it was this:

I got the iPad to turn off.... soon as I plugged it in it came back on. But right at that moment I began the Redsn0w reboot procedure.

Again, not sure exactly the sequence I used but you can do it... try and try again. You should NOT have to restore.

Good luck!

Michael

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem.
You don't have to turn your iPad off. I tried that several times too.
All you need to do is link it to your PC and follow the instructions of redsn0w. Just ignore the warning that you should turn it off.
Your iPad will turn in DFU mode and redsn0w will succesfully boot it.
Hope this helps.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can't turn it off, just plug it in.

Boot Tethered

then just hold power+home for about 15 seconds.

release power and hold home till the process is finished.

OP
U

ultimagun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the help, my ipad is now back up and running!

jutley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for those of you who have jailbroen o 4.2.1 using rednow is cydia working ok i hear there are problems can someone confirm this i am still on 3.2.2 on my ipad untethered jailbroken all working great but i dont want to make the move untill all is working fine.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia works fine. It was down last night but that was Cydia's servers... couldn't access it on my iPhone either.

Most Cydia apps are 4.2.1-friendly now too.

Michael

jutley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia works fine. It was down last night but that was Cydia's servers... couldn't access it on my iPhone either.

Most Cydia apps are 4.2.1-friendly now too.

Michael
is that using redsnow for jailbreak under ios 4.2.1 cydia works fine just its a tethered jailbreak.

Supremo502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can u post a link on how to jailbreak ipad 4.2.1?

edit nevermind

Last edited:

TomanytoysJF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my prob. Once I run redsnow it's starts the JB and as it's loading the ramdisk a window pops up and says redsnow.exe has stopped working. Im running vista. I've deleted redsnow a few times thinking the file was corrupt and thats not it they all do the samething. Tried downloading it on IE and Safari and that didnt work. I've checked to see if ituneshelper was running and that wasn't it. So I'm stuck I have no clue why this isn't working any help would be highly appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my prob. Once I run redsnow it's starts the JB and as it's loading the ramdisk a window pops up and says redsnow.exe has stopped working. Im running vista. I've deleted redsnow a few times thinking the file was corrupt and thats not it they all do the samething. Tried downloading it on IE and Safari and that didnt work. I've checked to see if ituneshelper was running and that wasn't it. So I'm stuck I have no clue why this isn't working any help would be highly appreciated.

You need to run redsn0w in XP Compatibility mode when using Vista or Windows 7, otherwise it crashes...

TomanytoysJF

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You need to run redsn0w in XP Compatibility mode when using Vista or Windows 7, otherwise it crashes...

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you explain how. I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts