What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3rd gen

s1m0nw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys

Can the ipad 3rd generation still be jailbroken??

Ive updated to ios 7.1.1 and Ive search everywhere for jailbreak only to find that there isnt a jailbreak out for 7.1.1.

I am new to this, Didn't use ipad till now and realised you cant do **** with it compared to andriod devices so i'll be waiting patiently in the hope the 3rd gen ipads can still be jailbroken.

thanks

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the model and everything to do with the iOS version. 7.1.1 can't be JB. There is still plenty you can do with a stock ipad.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A related question... can older iDevices (those which are on their last iOS, not the newest iOS) be restored and jailbroken without limits? E.g. the first iPad, if I remember correctly, can't be updated past iOS 5.1.1. So you can restore it to 5.1.1 as you wish, and jailbreak immediately (and rinse and repeat, should the need arise later on)?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A related question... can older iDevices (those which are on their last iOS, not the newest iOS) be restored and jailbroken without limits? E.g. the first iPad, if I remember correctly, can't be updated past iOS 5.1.1. So you can restore it to 5.1.1 as you wish, and jailbreak immediately (and rinse and repeat, should the need arise later on)?
Only if the highest iOS version available to the device in question has been jailbroken. For example, the highest iOS version that the iPhone 4 will ever see is iOS 7.1.1 or a later version of iOS 7, which does not as yet have a jailbreak.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, the iPad 1 (first generation) can continue to be jail broken on iOS 5.1.1. And yes, you can "rinse and repeat" by installing iOS 5.1.1 and re-jailbreaking it all you wish. It's one of the "perks" - if you want to call it that - of having the older iPad.

Now, if newer iPads ever get limited to a certain iOS AND that iOS is jailbreakable, then you could do the same with them. But, for now, the iPad 1 is the only one that can do this ... For now. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts