What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3rd gen First charge??

TheRemedyMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Just yesterday got my new ipad 3rd gen 32gb wifi , in white :) out of box battery was less than 30percent ! Then i just leave it on charger for about 5,5 hours, and atfter that it was jus 97 percent remianing.. Is this is normal ??? Thanks

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom is that the iPad battery meter needs calibration. This is achieved by allowing it to run down completely, then giving it a full charge. If it is holding at 97%, it is likely fully charged. The iPad3 has a huge battery to power that new screen, so it takes longer than previous models to charge fully. I have an iPad2 so I'm not fully conversant with the new model, but I'd say 5.5 hours is a bit on the thin side for time to charge from 30%.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As Kevin said, it's a good idea to let it run down then fully charge it. Apple recommend doing this only once a month though. The iPad batteries are modern in design and do not suffer from old problems like battery memory. You can charge them as little and often as you like, but give them a full cycle as described about once a month.

Here is Apples page on iPad battery info, with that advice at the bottom - Apple (United Kingdom) - Batteries - iPad

Since the iPad3 battery is so massive, it does take a long time for a full charge. I find it best to do this overnight. There is no danger to the device or the battery in leaving it charging, even once it is fully charged.

Hope that helps.

OP
TheRemedyMe

TheRemedyMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
As Kevin said, it's a good idea to let it run down then fully charge it. Apple recommend doing this only once a month though. The iPad batteries are modern in design and do not suffer from old problems like battery memory. You can charge them as little and often as you like, but give them a full cycle as described about once a month.

Here is Apples page on iPad battery info, with that advice at the bottom - Apple (United Kingdom) - Batteries - iPad

Since the iPad3 battery is so massive, it does take a long time for a full charge. I find it best to do this overnight. There is no danger to the device or the battery in leaving it charging, even once it is fully charged.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot . It helps :)

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does take a good bit to charge. I just plugged my 1st generation in about an hour ago at 40% and I just checked it and it's already up to 67%. My 3rd generation probably would have barely been at 50. Also, be sure to use the included charger. I was trying to organize my charger clutter a few months ago and had purchased a multi-charger and it took FOREVER to charge my new iPad even if it was the only thing charging at the time. Needless to say, I ditched it and went back to the original.

Congrats on your new iPad and welcome to the forum!

OP
TheRemedyMe

TheRemedyMe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HappyPelican said:
It does take a good bit to charge. I just plugged my 1st generation in about an hour ago at 40% and I just checked it and it's already up to 67%. My 3rd generation probably would have barely been at 50. Also, be sure to use the included charger. I was trying to organize my charger clutter a few months ago and had purchased a multi-charger and it took FOREVER to charge my new iPad even if it was the only thing charging at the time. Needless to say, I ditched it and went back to the original.

Congrats on your new iPad and welcome to the forum!

I see. Thanks for answer :)

Most reactions

Latest posts