What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Support Group Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A story has surfaced claiming a 99-year-old Portland, Ore., area woman is using the iPad to overcome medical woes. According to a report in The Oregonian, Virginia Campbell, of Lake Oswego, Ore., suffers from glaucoma, making it extremely difficult to engage in her favorite pastimes: reading and writing.
After hearing about the iPad, Campbell, an alumnus of Portland's Reed College, decided that the tablet could be the tool she needed to get back to enjoying reading and writing. And she was right.
The iPad has "changed her life," Campbell's daughter Ginny Adelsheim told The Oregonian in an interview.
According to Adelsheim, her mother is now reading books on the iPad, thanks to its ability to increase the size of text to a readable level. Campbell has also increased the brightness on the display to further enhance her reading experience. And although she has never owned a computer, she is now writing poetry on the tablet.
Perhaps fittingly, Campbell decided write the following limerick tribute to Apple's iPad:
"To this technology-ninny it's clear
In my compromised 100th year,
That to read and to write
Are again within sight
Of this Apple iPad pioneer."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkIP7ec3O8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Virginia's new iPad[/ame]
A YouTube video of Campbell using her iPad, above, has been viewed 67,581 times so far.

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow.. that is really wonderful
I hope someday to teach my mother how to use it too.
And I hope to be as sharp as this lady when I am 99.

on a side note: there is supposed to be an Accessibly option that will let you read white text on a black background.. which makes is easier for some with eyesight problems... (but could also be useful for night reading in bed so as not to disturb your partner)

icepulse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn. I placed my order on 03/30 for the 64gb 3G iPad, using "Bill Me Later". I have a good relationship w/ them, as I bought my iPhone 3GS w/ them, as well as some music equipment. When I placed the order, it showed up as a hold on the same day, then dropped off after about 5 days.

Now, I'm still yet to see the transaction get reposted, although the Apple Store order details still show it as "not yet shipped", with BmL as the payment source. I received my "magical" email a couple of days ago, stating that I was still lined up for a "late April" delivery.

Why such a delay?

Gillette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn. I placed my order on 03/30 for the 64gb 3G iPad, using "Bill Me Later". I have a good relationship w/ them, as I bought my iPhone 3GS w/ them, as well as some music equipment. When I placed the order, it showed up as a hold on the same day, then dropped off after about 5 days.

Now, I'm still yet to see the transaction get reposted, although the Apple Store order details still show it as "not yet shipped", with BmL as the payment source. I received my "magical" email a couple of days ago, stating that I was still lined up for a "late April" delivery.

Why such a delay?

Same exact thing here. The hold fell off today and my card was never charged. My shipping was upgraded to "Priority" though. I'm assuming they'll charge my card when my turn comes. B.T.W. mine was a late order..last Saturday.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My shipping finally changed to priority but last I checked I wasn't charged yet.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

dim

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My shipping finally changed to priority but last I checked I wasn't charged yet.

Just now it changed? Wow, talk about last minute! You must have been freaking:eek:

no, not really. I got the email days ago saying I was on schedule for late April, so I wasn't worried about it.

Gotta remember Ed - Rasputina already has an iPad - so she's just waiting on the addition of 3G - then she'll give the older inferior unit to her child.

We, on the other hand, sit her iPadless, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. I liken it to political prisoners staging a hunger strike.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just now it changed? Wow, talk about last minute! You must have been freaking:eek:

no, not really. I got the email days ago saying I was on schedule for late April, so I wasn't worried about it.

Gotta remember Ed - Rasputina already has an iPad - so she's just waiting on the addition of 3G - then she'll give the older inferior unit to her child.

We, on the other hand, sit her iPadless, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. I liken it to political prisoners staging a hunger strike.

I like the way you put that. Almost sounds nobel...or desperate!

Orcapal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since Apple obviously has some quantity of 3G in hand, I fail to see why they don't ship them to those of us who pre-ordered. Seems like bad marketing to wait until they are also available in the stores. Kind of dampens my enthusiasm for the whole thing.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since Apple obviously has some quantity of 3G in hand, I fail to see why they don't ship them to those of us who pre-ordered. Seems like bad marketing to wait until they are also available in the stores. Kind of dampens my enthusiasm for the whole thing.

It's called controlling the hype. Marketing is what apple does best. Big launch days with long lines outside of the apple stores gets alot of media attention.

Orcapal

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's called controlling the hype. Marketing is what apple does best. Big launch days with long lines outside of the apple stores gets alot of media attention.

I understand that, but I also think that a few thousand running around waving 3Gs in the air -before- store availability would increase the hype even more. After all, the day FexEx drops off our new toys we're going to be at home loading apps, not standing around the stores.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I understand that, but I also think that a few thousand running around waving 3Gs in the air -before- store availability would increase the hype even more. After all, the day FexEx drops off our new toys we're going to be at home loading apps, not standing around the stores.

Trustme, I totally agree with you and wish I had it sooner too. But it's tough to argue with apples success at marketing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts