What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G as a in car GPS device

tcugrilla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the cost of an installed in dash GPS /cd/radio unit coming close to 1000.00, i have decided to mount my iPad on the dashboard for use as a GPS device. I found a device called the Padholder that is all of 99.00, and is easy to install. I am looking for others that use the iPad as a GPS device in their car. Please let me know how well it works.

imjune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience here in indonesia, the built in map does not always accurate. I dont know if it's the map or the service provider, but "my location" icon shows text like, "accurate within radius 1900 m", or something similiar, and it really happens, which mean the map shows my position incorrectly but still within the radius stated. Not always, but often does. And somtimes even when I'm still sitting in my room, the "mylocation" icon moves constantly a few hundred meter.
So in my opinion, as a map, yes it is good. But as GPS, I doubt I could rely on it. But this happens on the built in map. Haven't tried another app tho.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After trying several GPS driving programs, I have settled on TomTom. I just completed a two day drive to ski in Colorado that covered 900 miles. My iPad was mounted in the center dash compartment with a minor modification. I used the GPS function for route info since I tried a new way of traveling. Since driving in Colorado is lousy for radio reception, I found a cable that would connect to the radio's input jack and had a USB plug for charging and played music from the iPad tunes. One of my GPS programs provided elevation readings through the mountains. Finally, I used Gas Buddy to plan the best places to get fuel.

My only problem was that the GPS programs are battery drains. No matter which charger I used, it would still drain. With the 2amp chargers, I went all day without going below 40%, but if we had done one of our 15 hour non-stop runs, we would have turned the GPS for periods to recharge. We also used the TomTom to find places to eat and Wal-Marts for rest breaks on the route.

Sswinney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Magellan app with my iPad. I ran picture wire through and around my center dashboard air vents so that I could just open the iPad case and hang it over the wire - super simple and cost is almost nothing! My wife likes voice instructions and it was basically the same program as I had on an old Magellan GPS - but with several improvements and, of course, that nice big screen. I will occasionally switch to the map that came with the iPad to get a wider picture because the GPS app tends to show me a closeup view - but it works quite well. I drive all over Minnesota and, when I get out of range of good radio I switch to streaming radio. I also plug the sound into my car stereo and charge from a cigarette lighter charger - Rocketfish - and my iPad charges upward to 100% and stays there - nice to have a full charge in the evening after a day of driving.

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
After trying several GPS driving programs, I have settled on TomTom. I just completed a two day drive to ski in Colorado that covered 900 miles. My iPad was mounted in the center dash compartment with a minor modification. I used the GPS function for route info since I tried a new way of traveling. Since driving in Colorado is lousy for radio reception, I found a cable that would connect to the radio's input jack and had a USB plug for charging and played music from the iPad tunes. One of my GPS programs provided elevation readings through the mountains. Finally, I used Gas Buddy to plan the best places to get fuel.

My only problem was that the GPS programs are battery drains. No matter which charger I used, it would still drain. With the 2amp chargers, I went all day without going below 40%, but if we had done one of our 15 hour non-stop runs, we would have turned the GPS for periods to recharge. We also used the TomTom to find places to eat and Wal-Marts for rest breaks on the route.

Hi. I'm reviewing feedback on navigation applications for the iPad. I like Tom Tom, as I have a handheld for my kids. I want to acquire a Voice enabled overlay for the iPad. Did you use TomTom on an iPad2? One feedback stated that TomTom support had said it is not supported on iPad2. Also, what are the subscription costs for the live traffic, and for map updates? One final question... Does this become a drain on the data plan to use? I'm used to Google maps, but need voice commands so I don't have to look at screen while driving. Your info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eKindom

iPF Noob
Reaction score

actually i have never think about GPS, after reading your answer, i tried and it really great. thanks for sharing your idea.
Accessories for Apple, Repair Parts for Apple, Online Store | eKindom.com

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the original iPad and have no problems. I cannot see what would be an issue with the iPad 2. I do not use voice commands or voice directions. I do not like being told how to drive. If I can't put up with my wife backseat driving, I am not going to listen to a machine. Most of the navigation demand is just like your dedicated GPS units. It is only when you do web searches or traffic updates that your data plan will get involved. For my tastes, the TomTom app works best.

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I am using the original iPad and have no problems. I cannot see what would be an issue with the iPad 2. I do not use voice commands or voice directions. I do not like being told how to drive. If I can't put up with my wife backseat driving, I am not going to listen to a machine. Most of the navigation demand is just like your dedicated GPS units. It is only when you do web searches or traffic updates that your data plan will get involved. For my tastes, the TomTom app works best.

Thank you, Seadog. My interest is for the voice directions, so that I don't need to look at my unit unless I am approaching a challenging intersection. I really appreciate your recommendation. If you are aware of the subscription cost for map upgrades and for the Live Traffic, I would be interested in knowing. Thanks again

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't really answer your question, but I'll throw my experience into the mix. I use the Garmin Nüvi. I have an SD card plugin with the Canadian oilfield locations built into it. One of the first things I did was to turn off the voice instructions. That was about two years ago and I've never felt the need to turn the feature back on.

I've never used the iPad as a GPS although I experimented with the iPhone when I first bought it. I found that the Garmin was much more useful, since my kind of driving is somewhat unusual, being mostly off road.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not know exactly, because the prices vary according to which area app is purchased. The lifeime updates and traffic plans can cost up to $200 for the standalone devices.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When looking for such things as an iPad holder, the best bet is to look at the major players online. Best Buy, Amazon, etc. will all have various devices available. You might browse some of our supporting vendors.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my iPad exclusively for GPS in the car.. I had a Magellan dash unit, but it's been tucked away in a drawer for the last year or so.

I use the 'GPS Drive HD' app... It requires 3G/4G because it loads the maps real time from the network as you drive... (You have an option to cache maps if you know you're going into an area without 3G/4G coverage). The cell network connection also provides real time live traffic..

Also. You need to pay $25 per year to keep the voice guidance active. (It's only a $5.00 app so that's how they make their money. If you don't need voice guidance, then it costs you nothing to run the program..

If you're in to social media... With a touch of a button, GPS Drive HD can track down Facebook friends, or instantly tweet or e-mail your current location.

MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Drive HD Overview

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks all. I have an IpAd 3 coming tomorroe and since I have had wifi ipad 1 for two years we either used our older Tom Tom or I would plan a route on Google maps, do printscreens and have them available in Photos. In a pinch we used mobile hot spot on phone but my new Ipad is Verizon 3G/4G so will be better. I've been looking at GPS apps for over a year so your comments are helpful.

I saw an Ipad holder that is supported in cupholder which looked good for some cars--unfortunately not mine but will work in husband's. I use an aux. cable and charger now (for Touch but its optimized for Ipad but ai wonder with retina display if it will be able keep up charge) so am set.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to bring this thread up to the top again. I'm tryng t estimate how much data I need to buy to use GPS. I've had the Ipad one 64GB wifi for almost 2 years and used Google map, did printscreens and referred to those while traveling OR we used my husband's mobile hot spot. We have an older Tom Tom but rarely use it but I believe we would like the big Ipad screen better

One of the recommendations I've noted elsewhere is for the Motion x app but don't see that mentioned here except at the bottom of one post. Any comments?

BUT. I'm especially interested in how much data one needs to use these for maybe a week a month just to give me an idea. I have Verizon 64 GB Ipad 3 now.

Most reactions

Latest posts