What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This will be interesting. I had decided I wouldn't upgrade until 3 but even then it may not offer enough to warrant an upgrade. I have lots of room, things work well, actually can't think of a major reason to upgrade but expect they will offer something I didn't realize I needed at some point LOL. I haven't seen the retina display but am sure I'd liie it but not sure I would consider an upgrade for that. I really don't want a camera so wonder whqt else they might offer to tempt me.

Diane

I don't need the camera either. But I recently treated myself to an iPod 4 (my iPad to go) with the higher resolution. And actually, I was blown away by its clarity over the iPad. So yes, retina would be a sure thing for me.
Other than that, it's like you say. Not so much else that could tempt me.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do not forget that the iPhone 5 will be released this summer and there may be some iOS changes to go with it. There is enough market that I doubt there will be any lack of sales for Apple to worry about. It is to Apple's credit that they are not willing to sit on their laurels.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm calling major BS here. For starters this goes completely against apples business model...and secondly it makes no sense! The first gen iPad is still in early adaption phases....iPad 2 is too soon...to step it up in Sept would be a shot in the foot since not too many people are going to upgrade to the iPad 2 it will be mostly new users and none of them will want a new one 6 months later!

The current model works and the release schedule will make sense....iPad Spring, iPhone Summer, iPod Fall.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We don't even have official word on the iPad 2 and people are already speculating about the iPad 3?

What's the point? It's like treading water, you are doing all this work, but you aren't getting anywhere. Let's at least wait until see what the iPad 2 is going to have before we worry what the next one might have.

Exactly!! Plus im getting tired of all this retina display hype. Ok, iphone4 has it, so what..lol its a little screen. Id rather look at my current ipad display anyday over a small screen no matter how good the display is. Its not a night n day difference in quality. People act like ipad is in black n white n this new retina display is in color :-/ ipad display is great IMO. Sure, ima love it when ipad gets an even better display but until then, doesnt matter to me. Im more impressed by more processing power, more better features, Camera, more memory, etc.... :p

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some tech blogs are speculating that iPad 2 will be like iPhone 3GS and iPad 3 will be like iPhone 4. A little jump from 1 to 2 and a big jump from 2 to 3. If 3 does come out in the fall I will be tempted.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speculation is that it is the 7 inch mini ipad.

It can't be, because it would be "dead on arrival". They are "too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad". "This size is useless unless you include sandpaper so users can sand their fingers down to a quarter of their size."

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So can anyone tell me what graphics processor they would use to drive a 2048x1536 screen while playing games like Infinity Blade?? Because nothing out on the market right now would come close. MAYBE, and this is a big maybe, MAYBE they could pull it off with the graphics processor of the NGP, sony's new PSP. They claim its roughly 4x better than any graphics processor out now and it would need to be because it would be running 4x the pixels. I don't think Apple usually likes to cut it that close. And since the NGP is set to hit for Holiday 2011, I doubt there would be near the scale available of these chips to produce the iPad3.

It just doesn't make sense.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the same thing I said when everyone started getting excited about that impossible double resolution theory. I wanna know what moron made that up. Shows you how gullible people are.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So can anyone tell me what graphics processor they would use to drive a 2048x1536 screen while playing games like Infinity Blade?? Because nothing out on the market right now would come close. MAYBE, and this is a big maybe, MAYBE they could pull it off with the graphics processor of the NGP, sony's new PSP. They claim its roughly 4x better than any graphics processor out now and it would need to be because it would be running 4x the pixels. I don't think Apple usually likes to cut it that close. And since the NGP is set to hit for Holiday 2011, I doubt there would be near the scale available of these chips to produce the iPad3.

It just doesn't make sense.

Thats the device i remembered that was gonna be wayyyyy ahead of the game. Its gonna have a quad core processor! When most mobile devices are now just getting dual core! Thnkx for the reminder. Ipad 2 or 3 gets that technology, it will be The Cutting Edge ;-)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nvidia announced its quad core processors with 12 core GPU's. Sounds years away right? Nope, August of this year for tablets and the end of the year for phones. They will smoothly run hugely complex multimedia at 2560*1440 resolution on a 10" tablet.

If Apple is going to continue using its own processor they better come up with something big for the iPad 3. If they want to stay competitive in the market though.

Just for reference, the iPhone 4's screen is 326 DPI, this will be 300DPI and the current iPad is 132DPI so it's a huge difference in clarity.

Looks like I'll be upgrading my Motorola Xoom in August. :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nvidia announced its quad core processors with 12 core GPU's. Sounds years away right? Nope, August of this year for tablets and the end of the year for phones. They will smoothly run hugely complex multimedia at 2560*1440 resolution on a 10" tablet.

If Apple is going to continue using its own processor they better come up with something big for the iPad 3. If they want to stay competitive in the market though.

Just for reference, the iPhone 4's screen is 326 DPI, this will be 300DPI and the current iPad is 132DPI so it's a huge difference in clarity.

I can't wait!!

For you to get a Xoom and start complaining on their forum that it's not what you expected.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can't wait!!

For you to get a Xoom and start complaining on their forum that it's not what you expected

OMG. That was freakin hilarious!!!

And so true.

At first I was like.. you can't wait? You are getting one? Then I read the last sentence. About died.

Most reactions

Latest posts