What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 wifi slow as heck, cant find a solution anywhere

swaggington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done Speedtest and it says my iPad wifi runs at full speed(13mbps).

But streaming videos, no matter the source, is always slow, downloading anything from Dropbox takes forever, and even downloading a 13mb app from the app store takes 10 minutes. When I am on 3G it loads faster and more consistently than on my home wifi.

All my other devices work fine.

I can't find a solution to this anywhere online. Can somebody help?

gwynsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem after upgrading to iOS 6.01. It was the same across all iOS devices so I reset my router to be sure then reset network settings on all my devices. The downside is that I lost all my settings for other wifi networks as well (obviously) but it seemed to work. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad 1,2 or 3 using iPF

OP
S

swaggington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't work. How can it be that no one knows a solution to this and apple hasn't responded to it either? There are thousands of reports all over the web of the iPads super slow wifi, and apparently no way of fixing it

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
swaggington said:
Didn't work. How can it be that no one knows a solution to this and apple hasn't responded to it either? There are thousands of reports all over the web of the iPads super slow wifi, and apparently no way of fixing it

Did you try upgrading the firmware on your router?

iZach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would run a speed test on your Internet and if it is reading between 5 and 18, you're good, but if not, call your provider. Clearing my browser history, data and cookies in the iPad settings speeds up the browser, but as far as downloads, I would suspect the network.

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

OP
S

swaggington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iZach said:
I would run a speed test on your Internet and if it is reading between 5 and 18, you're good, but if not, call your provider. Clearing my browser history, data and cookies in the iPad settings speeds up the browser, but as far as downloads, I would suspect the network.

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Speedtest gives me the maximum speed the network allows. Same when downloading from newsgroups, streaming video, or doing ANYTHING on any devices bedsides my iPad. 3G network also performs more reliably on the iPad than the wifi

Is there seriously no one that can help with this?

pkay1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get this a lot myself with downloads and have found that pausing for around 30 econds then resuming helps most time. I think it depend on how busy itune is but
am probably wrong....

ujaved1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main reasons for the slow wifi is Apple Genius for Apps. You have to turn it off all together. Settings -> Itunes Click on your Apple ID. From there, select "turn of Genuis...." something
Did it myself yesterday and works like a charm now.

seyerce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too have suffered with this same problem, but my patience has worn thin! However, after enough searching, I finally fixed my iPad's slow wifi connection tonight!

The solution is found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=60&tstart=0

Bottom line is that you need to disable QoS on your wifi router. YouTube videos now load with hardly any buffering (for all my wifi-connected devices)!

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried it on someone else's Wi-Fi? Could be your router settings as suggested. You are correct though in saying that there are a lot of reports re. this particular issue but there have been many suggestions offered on this forum. Someone somewhere on here will point you in the right direction I'm sure.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I, too have suffered with this same problem, but my patience has worn thin! However, after enough searching, I finally fixed my iPad's slow wifi connection tonight!

The solution is found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2398063?start=60&tstart=0

Bottom line is that you need to disable QoS on your wifi router. YouTube videos now load with hardly any buffering (for all my wifi-connected devices)!
Oops! Didn't read this post, sorry :)

Biaggo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Will try this on my router, thanks.

cact25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main reasons for the slow wifi is Apple Genius for Apps. You have to turn it off all together. Settings -> Itunes Click on your Apple ID. From there, select "turn of Genuis...." something
Did it myself yesterday and works like a charm now.

I don't see an itunes label under settings. Somewhere I did see that there was an option to turn genius on, as it appears to be off. It takes forever to log onto a wifi network. My router is about 3 feet away from my ipad and ipod. The problem occurs with both ipod touch (latest) and ipad 3.

Most reactions