What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Verizon LTE Overheat shutdown

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yesterday while sitting in my LR surfing using 3G while charging my iPad, it suddenly shut down with an overheated shutdown message.

It didn't feel hot in my hand, just warm like always. I restarte it immediately and it came back on as if nothing ever happened. Have had it since 3/16 without getting an alarm or shudown.

Has this happened to others? BTW I did a search and found where someone had an overheat shutdown while sitting in the sun in 2010!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be concerned if that happened to me. I have the 64GB model of what you have.

I've run mine on games, on Navigon (screen on 100% of time) with LTE on and me driving around, and also with the brightness up to 100% with the screen on (and used a laser temp gauge to measure 111 Deg F). No shutdown though the back was a bit warm to the touch.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might be a combo of your being on LTE while charging. Depending on the strength of your LTE signal and how hard your iPad is working to stay connected while it charges, it might've overtaxed things.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Write all the information down about the occurance. Every detail. If it happens again, you might want to have it looked at by an Apple genius. It is usually nothing, but always cover your options.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Might be a combo of your being on LTE while charging. Depending on the strength of your LTE signal and how hard your iPad is working to stay connected while it charges, it might've overtaxed things.

Actually, I was on 3G with 2 bars signal strength which is all I get at home.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Write all the information down about the occurance. Every detail. If it happens again, you might want to have it looked at by an Apple genius. It is usually nothing, but always cover your options.

Good advice!

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be concerned if that happened to me. I have the 64GB model of what you have.

I've run mine on games, on Navigon (screen on 100% of time) with LTE on and me driving around, and also with the brightness up to 100% with the screen on (and used a laser temp gauge to measure 111 Deg F). No shutdown though the back was a bit warm to the touch.

I have the 64GB too. You're right, I was concerned too that's why I started this thread. Looks as if it was a combination of charging and surfing with a low signal. At least that's what I hope for!

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would be the same possibility: If your iPad (any model) is struggling to hold a signal, that makes the battery work harder.

I think you got it right. In the future I'll do one or the other. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the 64GB too. You're right, I was concerned too that's why I started this thread. Looks as if it was a combination of charging and surfing with a low signal. At least that's what I hope for!

I suppose...I was driving around with navigon on...which keeps the screen on...and my iPad plugged into the car charger....GPS and 4G on in the background...and mine was fine. Got a little warm to the touch. I suggest you keep running tests and taking notes.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could also involve a power surge, maybe in combo with weak 3G signal, maybe not. I would guess that the power supply from a car would be steadier than household power supply, but I don't know much about car power supplies. They sell home surge protectors, so you could use one at home while charging.

You also could see if anything appears on your diagnostics log.

In case you don't know, the iPad diagnostics log is under Settings > About.

Last edited:
OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Could also involve a power surge, maybe in combo with weak 3G signal, maybe not. I would guess that the power supply from a car would be steadier than household power supply, but I don't know much about car power supplies. They sell home surge protectors, so you could use one at home while charging.

You also could see if anything appears on your diagnostics log.

In case you don't know, the iPad diagnostics log is under Settings > About.
An
Thanks for the info. Didn't know about the diagnostic log. Lots of info there, but the code is a puzzle!
Some I can make out like timed out or the high temp I had once...
I'm going to get a repeater to boost my signal.
Question, is it safe to turn on the reporting errors to Apple?

Most reactions

Latest posts