What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3-VPN Issue

Stephen Tiano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 running iOS 8.1.3. Months ago I installed the free version of Hotspot Shield for when I use the iPad on unprotected WiFi at my job. The last coupla days the VPN was slow in setting up, so today I decided to delete Hotspot Shield and reinstall it. I was able to uninstall by pressing and lingering on the Hotspot Shield icon. Then I clicked on the "x" connected to that icon, and got rid of that icon.

Problem is, in Setting, the VPN icon is still there and it keeps going thru the "VPN Connecting" dance. And even tho' there's a checkmark in front of a network, when I start up the browser, I'm told there is no Internet connection. How do I clean this thing out, so I can get online again? And is there a better, free VPN solution?

Fel free to email me if this is something that should be taken off-forum.

Steve Tiano
EDITED

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/forum-rules-everybody-please-read.2119/ No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you for to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage to see if the app is still listed there? If so, you can delete it from the list by tapping on it and tapping the delete app button and confirming your choice.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Besides the actual app deletion you may have to do some work in your settings. Go to Settings > General > VPN and clear out any lingering VPN setups.

VPN apps are basically shortcuts to setting up and turning on/off a VPN on your iPad. The don't actually do anything in and off themselves when it comes to making the connection. They just take the pain out of doing it all manually in Settings.

OP
Stephen Tiano

Stephen Tiano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Hotspot Shield is not listed under Manage Storage. I also don't recall installing anything else for anonymizing. Nor, looking thru all the apps I have to choose from, do I not recognize anything, so that it might be some unfamiliar VPN app. Should my next step be to wipe the whole damn thing clean (wich would be fin with me if there were any likelihood that this is then very next thing to try). It just doesn't get past that VPN thing in Settings spinning, stopping, spinning ... When I choose anything that requires being online, like Mail, it's dead. Or choosing Safari, the eventual "not on Internet" message.

I should also say, I switched my ISP password yesterday, but not sure where to fix this on the iPad. I mean, my Mail password on the iPad is in agreement with the new one, but I'm not sure where else to look for this on the iPad. Plus, if it requires getting on line, I'm sunk. Vicious circle.

Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To fix your ISP password, (only if you need it to sign onto your network at home) go to Settings > General > Reset, and Reset Network Settings.

Or if you don't want to erase all your Wi-Fi network settings you can look for your home network in Wi-Fi Settings, choose it and Forget This Network.

Either way you'll have to go back into Settings > Wi-Fi and log back into your network.

If your ISP password isn't the same as your home network password, then this will have no effect on the password issue, but Reset Network Settings may fix your VPN problems, since it's also a networks setting.

If it doesn't you can try Settings > General > Reset, and Reset All Settings. This won't delete anything, but it will default many of your iPad's preferences. I don't expect it to be the solution. I expect reseting network settings to work, but if it does not then this is the only other reset (short of restoring your device) that is likely to clear up a settings problem.

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotspot Shield has the instructions on how to uninstall in the settings within the app.

Most reactions