What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3 not charging

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my daughter an iPad 3 last year and just lately she has been unable to charge it.
I have tried numerous charging cables and different wall plugs also tried different powerpoints within the house all to no avail.
We took it back to the Telstra shop we bought it from and when they saw the screen was cracked and that the charging point had a tiny dent they said that they would send it to apple but that they would probably not fix it under warranty and that it would cost $50 to send it.
So we went to dicks the guy there plugged in another charger but got the same result as we had been getting and that was.

When you plug it in you get the battery with just the red line showing no battery life had the charging symbol under it but nothing then the apple symbol comes up then you get the password screen then it disapears in one second then nothing.
So the guy in dicks said that it was not the charger (bright spark) and that there was no point in trying to get it fixed because it is probably the motherboard I have removed the screen and the LCD and have the charge point removed but now how do I work out what the real problem is I don't want to buy a new screen and a new charge point if there is something alse that is knackered.

Really need anyone's help

Thank you in advance
Neil R Stoker

Esperance
Western Australia

G'day Neil and welcome to the forum. As you are already delving into the innards of your iPad, I thought it may be of more assistance to you if I transferred this thread to the iPad DIY forum. I hope you get further help there in diagnosing and hopefully assisting with the problem.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP

69olds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad 3 will not charge all I get is the battery symbol red the charge symbol under it but battery does not move showing that it is not
charging when that disappears the apple symbol appears then that closes and I get my password screen but that goes in about 2 seconds
those 3 screens continue to appear and disappear for the time that the iPad is plugged into the charger but it does not charge
We don't have an apple store here nearest one is about 700kms away I have tried the hard reset but did not work I don't mind replacing
parts but my problem is what do I replace? Is there a way to find out what is broken even though I have a dead flat battery

Does replacing the charge point fix the problem? Or is there another part that solves my problem

I await the knowledge from those that hold it
Cheers
Neil

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Neil - first, are you using a 10W or 12W Apple charger which should have come w/ the iPad; if not, how are you trying to charge the iPad? Second, if the iPad's battery is fully depleted then a prolonged charge may be needed, i.e. you might want to plug it in using the appropriate charger, shut down, and just wait a number of hours.

Now if you are using the right charger & try the prolong charging time and still have no results, do you have access to another charger & cable, i.e. that may be the problem; and be sure to try charging in different electrical outlets. For more information, CHECK HERE - good luck! :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Neil and welcome to the Forum!

As you have opened 2 threads on this same issue and both posts hold differing information, I have merged the 2. It is best to keep all information on a problem together to make it easier for members to be able to help you, it is also against forum Rules to post more than once on an issue for the above reasons also.

You have a difficult issue here which will be very hard for anyone to guess what would be a possible solution. It appears that your iPad has been dropped which then makes a solution even harder to find as something inside your iPad may have been jarred lose or broken.

If your iPad is still under warranty, if you were to go to an Apple store they may very well offer you a new iPad but with a cost, which is normally around half the price you paid for it. This is their normal procedure in these cases.

You may try to fix it yourself but as you can see this could cost you quite a bit trying the differing avenues of what can be replaced and then there is no guarantee that you would end up with a working iPad. So I'm thinking the best scenario is to get in touch with Apple directly and tell them what has happened to your iPad and find out what they can do for you.

In the meantime, I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

OP

69olds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi giradman I am using the original charger that came with the iPad and I have had it on charge for days at a time with no movement on battery still as flat as a tack

OP

69olds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi leelai thank you for the move just one thing I actually posted in the help first off but Andrew aka OB moved it too the D.I.Y. but now you have moved it back I think perhaps the admins need to workout what should go where and stick to it because in two days I have been moved twice hard to get help when I
keep posting in one forum and the disapear into another

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi leelai thank you for the move just one thing I actually posted in the help first off but Andrew aka OB moved it too the D.I.Y. but now you have moved it back I think perhaps the admins need to workout what should go where and stick to it because in two days I have been moved twice hard to get help when I
keep posting in one forum and the disapear into another

Hi Neil......yes I see what you are saying.....the thing is your issues are more involved than what was first thought and I endeavoured to get more eyes on them to see if others have had any experience with this and that is more achievable in the Help Forum.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi giradman I am using the original charger that came with the iPad and I have had it on charge for days at a time with no movement on battery still as flat as a tack

Hi again Neil - well, my other suggestion was to try a different Apple charger & cable, if available; I suspect that your device is only a year+ old, so would seem unlikely the battery is the issue (or would be a rarity). Has there been any damage to the iPad (e.g. a drop) and/or the docking connection? If a different charger/cable is not helpful, then you likely need to find a fairly local reputable Apple repair shop or ship it off to Apple - did you purchase Apple Care? Dave :)

OP

69olds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Neil - well, my other suggestion was to try a different Apple charger & cable, if available; I suspect that your device is only a year+ old, so would seem unlikely the battery is the issue (or would be a rarity). Has there been any damage to the iPad (e.g. a drop) and/or the docking connection? If a different charger/cable is not helpful, then you likely need to find a fairly local reputable Apple repair shop or ship it off to Apple - did you purchase Apple Care? Dave :)

Hi Dave. My wife tells me that she took it too a local shop and they tried a new charger with nothing happening now I have grilled my 16 y/o daughter and she did tell me that she did drop it on the top right corner hence the cracked screen there is also a spot in the charger hole where the top I dented down very minor I fixed that pretty easily but I am guessing that the drop hard enough to crack the screen has done significant damage.

Cheers
Neil

tabbatt001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your ipad is still not charging after trying several different cords, you may have to look into getting a new battery. Although those batteries usually last anywhere 3-5 years, there could be something wrong internally in your device.

Most reactions

Latest posts