What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 disconnects from WiFi Randomly

bry1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All,
I have upgraded to from E4200/WiFi abgn Linksys to EA8500/AC2600 Linksys. Still my WiFi connection drops randomly - mostly ever night.

EA8500 Setup:
Client Lease time is 44,640 or 31 days
Wireless Schedule is ON all the time
Returned iPad 3 and got another one from Apple (Senior Tech gave up)

Unit sits within 10 feet with inner wall between.

Any idea!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the WiFi connection drop when you're actually using the iPad or only when it's not being actively used? When you wake up the iPad does the connection automatically resume or do you have to manually connect?

OP
B

bry1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the iPad is not being used only.
After waking iPad, best recovery is turn OFF WiFi, then turn ON and select 2.4Ghz.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have Ask to Join Networks turned off in Settings>WiFi? If you do, the iPad should automatically connect to known networks.

OP
B

bry1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. It is turned ON now. Will let update all in a few days.
Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. It is turned ON now. Will let update all in a few days.
Thank you.
That means that the iPad will not automatically connect to known WiFi networks. The switch has to be turned off for automatic connection.
Also, when the iPad goes to sleep it disconnects from WiFi as a battery saving measure while on battery power.

OP
B

bry1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Setup now is:
"Ask to Join Networks is Green - Known networks will be joined automatically. If no known networks available, you will be asked before joining a new network."
2.4 and 5.0 are both known and passwords entered.

Last question is Auto=Lock is Never and Lock/Unlock is Off
Leaving it connected to power

This should be final test procedure........correct?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you have Ask to Join Networks turned off in Settings>WiFi? If you do, the iPad should automatically connect to known networks.

I'm pretty sure that is not what that setting does. With it on it will tell you if there is a network available and ask if you want to join (provided you are not already connected to a network). With it off, it never tells you when there is a network available.

I keep it off, because I mostly use LTE when and about, and find it annoying to have the iPad contatly asking me if I want to join this or that network.

The only time the iPad automatically connects to a network is when you are in range of a network you've previously joined. The iPad does this whether the 'Ask To Join Networks" is turned on or not. The only way to keep the iPad from joining a known network is to either forget that network (making it unknown), or turning off wi-fi.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your WiFi is operating correctly it should connect automatically to the strongest known WiFi network as soon as it wakes from sleep. There should be no need to set the auto lock to never. If this isn't happening there could be a problem with the software or hardware that's causing your problem. If you haven't already done so go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. This will reset the network settings to their factory default settings. If this works, there's no need to go any further. If it doesn't, try Reset All Settings. This will set all iPad settings to their factory default. No data will be lost in either case.

If neither of these methods work, you may to have another Apple tech run a full diagnostic. Since the problem persists even though the iPad was exchanged the problem is more likely software related. If another Apple technician cannot trace the problem you could reinstall the operating system by choosing the restore from backup option in iTunes. Back up your iPad just before starting, you can then use this backup to set up your iPad after the restore. If the problem still persists, try setting the iPad up as new to see if the problem is still there.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is not what that setting does. With it on it will tell you if there is a network available and ask if you want to join (provided you are not already connected to a network). With it off, it never tells you when there is a network available.

I keep it off, because I mostly use LTE when and about, and find it annoying to have the iPad contatly asking me if I want to join this or that network.

The only time the iPad automatically connects to a network is when you are in range of a network you've previously joined. The iPad does this whether the 'Ask To Join Networks" is turned on or not. The only way to keep the iPad from joining a known network is to either forget that network (making it unknown), or turning off wi-fi.
I realized that after I made the post. Turning it on will connect to known networks automatically and ask before connecting to a new network. It too normally leave it off to stop those annoying pop ups asking to connect to a WiFi network.

OP
B

bry1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses!

I should have stated that I never move the iPad and both 2.4 and 5Ghz passwords are loaded. This morning it was running fine.

I will see how it performs for a week.

Thanks again to all.

sonvannguyensg

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts